The 2018 Showcases start with

Yes! this

http://swethtaraorganics.co.uk

This is just a holding page, while I work on their site.

yes, in keeping with my weird/alternative/sub culture usual sort of style, this is my first client of 2018 as I again attempt to get stuff done :slight_smile:

feedback welcome. (i suppose) -ie, with regards spacing methods used (paddings/margins etc) where I have tried push a few things up and down.

:smiley:

and by way of interest. I wasnt too sure which way this will go (wordpress, flatfile, static - it will have a shop though) but it is on a windows server (gah!) so I might be limited by what I can do on the iffy back end.

but, hey, there we go. oh and any nice free font selection , let me know. that sort of organic works, but can look a bit miserable on a mobile.

but anyway, this is just the landing page (temporary) honest :slight_smile:

The lilac scrolly text over the top image is impossible to read without a struggle. Why not stick to a recognised font is a recognised colour and perhaps have an overlay on picture to help text stand out a bit.

1 Like

yes cheers, challenging text isnā€™t t! :slight_smile: on laptop, that font (a webfont) looksā€¦kind of ok,
on my phone, -pretty challenging! the "a"s and "e"s are very poorly formed on that device. strange.
on tablet, looks much better but,
the buttons span the entire screen.
ive seen a way with a pinegrow vid to prevent that, so it is limited to a nice size. must find< or get a link posted here.

and the font was selected asā€¦a whim :slight_smile: something relaxing organic and flowingā€¦although when it appears against the sky, it certainly aint relaxing to read.

and the color, well that was a modified version of what the friend/client wanted, i sort of matched it to the Buddlia plant colours.

doenst quite work but :slight_smile:
oh the green!

yeah, that was thier choice too :slight_smile: the pea soup green.

and did you try it on mobile devices @mandarin, result?
and thanks

More hideous on a smaller screen. Simply doesnā€™t work. Find some one colour blind to have a look,
will not work for them at all.

Sorry, but just donā€™t like the colours at all.

lol!
yep, much what i was thinking.
soā€¦what font do you think would be graceful ? which web font has some flair and life to it that would work?

do you think? opinions and all?

Ok, done some changes :slight_smile:
More suitable (and boring, less flowing, but far more legible) font
and changed Colours of font and added an interesting semi transparent background colour.

In keeping with their wishes and ā€¦my retinas longevity.

I am rather getting to like the deep purple and pea green combo :slight_smile:

Better than it was for sure.

Still not to my taste, but a lot easier to read now.

not really mine, butā€¦I could send you a screen shot of the colours they WERE using,
but

It might destroy your monitor/retinas/sensibilities.

The site was partially designed by another beginner chap with them using Serif WebPlus x8, that they were advised to buy it by himā€¦earlier this year.
er.
http://www.serif.com/webplus/

Well - Ian, you wanted it, youā€™ll get it (certainly nice meant). The point is that design is in everyones eyes. But there are some simple things I allow myself to outline:

Cheers

Thomas

1 Like

FWIW, Web Plus has never updated and now never will be to create anything Responsive. Best place for it will be the manure heap.

Yes, thanks both.
I will give them the good news about WebPlus X8. its a pity as the previous chap advised them to get it and then showed them HIS website built with itā€¦
erā€¦

ah! I cant find it now, but I will at some point.
Letā€™s just say the design is very 90sā€¦ Maybe 1890ā€™s? Im not sure.

So I had to start with this 90ā€™s design and a colour scheme inspired by VERY BRIGHT Hindi/Nepalese tastes.

SO, as for @Thomasā€™s feedback , thanks! the more white space is a what I intend, but as for white?
erā€¦its now just another bootstap blocks site. along with the tedious british font :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I realise that this is required for accessibility but maaaanā€¦ where is the design flare?
:frowning:

and , thsi site is also going to have to deal with some other stuf too , like

ą¤¬ą¤¹ą„ą¤¤ ą¤¬ą¤¹ą„ą¤¤ ą¤§ą¤Øą„ą¤Æą¤µą¤¾ą¤¦ Thomas

ha! chew that one up with British font :smiley:
that is Thank you so much Thomas ā€¦ in Hindi (Devengari keyboard. ā€¦used, on a mac)
Yes! so, this is also going to have Hindi/Nepalese versions.

ā€¦Well, if your going to go out for a swim in shark infested waters, you might as well head for where the sharks are, just to avoid boredom :slight_smile:

so, yes, keep up the feedback, now, does anyone know a NICE Organic, flowing web font that is ACTUALLY READABLE? on devices?

I will play with the spacing as @Thomas suggests, on this holding page as its good practice for working out the bootstrap classes and overiding in custom.css, but I also have to make the Proper site and shop!

Oh! which reminds me. They spent some time building up a shopping cart in their program using minicart.js or simplecart.js, I forget which now, but , alas, both seem abandoned.

so, they are currently stuck on a windows IIS server, so does anyone recommend a nice , simple shopping cart that runs in the browser with no php/server backend?

as, its a windows server, no database and i dont want to touch the thing! yuk

If it were me Iā€™d dump Windows Server, move to a simple cPanel hosted account and use Stiva Cart from www.phpjabbers.com

Got this running in a few locations, easy to set up, integrate and get people to spend money.

For a nicer font have a look online at Google fonts, all can be incorporated in a bootstrap site without any issues.

Yep, cheers Mandarin for that. This is the server they currently have, so trying to make do with it- but I do have a reseller account (linux box) so migrating them wouldnt be a problem from 123reg to my own , but that means, the server they have is duff, the program they have is duff, the design they had was duff, the shop they designed is duff. That can be a bit demoralising all at once, so Iā€™m taking it in stages for them :slight_smile:

OH, yeah, and the previous designer (who will want paying) walked away as he said somthing was wrong with their passwords/account and he couldnā€™t upload the site to they site and they couldnā€™t work it out.

I did.
He was trying to upload to the wrong web root. he was attempting to upload to the sever root, / not the web webroot, /web/content.

which is apparently how it works on a 123reg windows server. (where my /public_html/ is on linux box. )

oh yes, and if ANYONE is thinking of getting a 123reg windows account , DONT.
their control panel , file manager (for upload and download, as well as accessing files to edit ) is
irrevocably broken!

It will constantly time out and say to try again later. since last june.
I contacted tech support to be told that Yep! its destroyed. they can do nothing about it, but they can pay an extra Ā£12 and get thier linux box for the same deal instead as they cant fix the windows one.

oh, and he default page it serves, is ā€¦ default.htm, NOT index. html. so I had to learn about and create a web.config file to change that, as it doesnt use .htaccess or permissions .
and, it was still broken.
I told them that it still didnt work, they said there was no problem their end. thenā€¦ the next day it mysteriously started working again.

Im less than impressed with them. I also have a 123reg account for domain registration, but would never touch them for hosting after this.

And I did try a google font - "Stalemate* ā€¦ everyone screamed at me for it!
OH the noisesā€¦ I can still hear them in my headā€¦echoingā€¦