What workflow(s) are Pinegrow users using (PG/Editor/FTP/etc.)

@Emmanuel, thanks for a brilliant walkthrough of your workflow, I learned a heck of a lot and I’ve only read it twice. :slight_smile:

If I ever join the dark side (WP & Mac Life) I have that page bookmarked! I did know of browsersync but didn’t realise they had a linux version.

Although @Emmanuel don’t forget to add “linux alternatives” in your write up!

1 Like

:joy: Come to the Dark Side, we have Froot Loops! But yeah, to me WP is pretty much the Dark Side, Mac on the other hand is like heaven after 2 decades of Windoze.

1 Like

Love fruit loops!

It’s actually nice to see more software developed for Linux! I contacted one developer earlier this year and asked him why he had forgot about us Linux users and he uploaded a Linux version - he explained it actually isn’t that difficult to build apps for Linux - it’s just developers tend to think LInux users aren’t interested!

2 Likes

One useful add-on which I’m sure everyone is aware of anyway, is “web developer” Firefox, if you select Resize, it allows you to view responsive layouts - I’ve been using that and http://browsershots.org/

FTP - https://filezilla-project.org/

I feel dirty for posting this one, as I didn’t realise they had gone cross-platform - this was my hidden gem for batch processing images but Window users its your lucky day:

1 Like

@Jack I use this in Safari for resizing to view responsive layouts: Responsive Resize

2 Likes

Hi @Rob, may I ask what the benefits are of this over the default Safari Responsive Design Mode?

@Beemerang, I don’t have that as an option so I guess I’m not running a new enough version of OSX or Safari… looks interesting. So I guess that is the reason I use Responsive Resize!

@Rob, not sure which version of OSX/Safari you’re running but for me it wasn’t active by default.

Under Safari preferences I had to tick “Show Develop menu in menu bar” before I could see in the menu.

Hope this helps. It works quite well for me.

No joy here… OSX 10.9.5 and Safari 9.1.1 but it looks like a nice addition.

Too bad, sorry mate.

2 Likes

Never seen that before, however I get the following, no good on my side of the pond.

Item Not Available: The item you’ve requested is not currently available in the U.S. store.

“Responsive Design Mode” - Apples site says you need 10.11 , but oddly enough I have 10.10 and Safari 10 and have it however. You could always bump to 10.10 unless you are sticking at 10.9 for good reasons, curious does it still get updates?

Alternatively Chrome has it also, in addition to various extensions available.

I also created some bookmarklets that work pretty well for simulating responsive across screen sizes.

EDIT:

@rob

I saw your post in the other thread.

Is that why you stuck with OS X 10.9.5 for compatibility with CS3? I was actually still using 10.6.8 until my MacBook Pro (older) motherboard died earlier this year. Then I got a backup desktop Mac Pro (older, great find) and tested CS5 on everything between OS X 10.6 to 10.11. I ended up going with 10.10 as it seemed most stable with CS5. I now have both my repaired laptop and the desktop now as my primary, each running the same setup.

@Pinegrow_User yes that is exactly why I haven’t upgraded any further, I might just partition my HD and install the newer version of OSX and maybe get the best of both worlds.

@rob, I understand completely. My laptop came with 10.6.8 and if it hadn’t broke I may still be at that OS. The thought of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”, but then it became more about security, updates and compatibility. I am happy with 10.10, I cant believe I waited 5-6 years to get off 10.6 looking back. I would have went with 10.11 but Illustrator crashes and I can’t have that. Nice thing about this older Mac Pro I found is that it has 4 hard drive bays, so I can set it up to run any OS I want back to 10.6.

1 Like

If you use Brackets there is a plug-in “Live Preview for Responsive” that gives a similar layout view Pinegrow has with multiple versions of your page in different css break point widths side by side but in a browser. I look at it as a less features Pinegrow page view. Since I have Pinegrow I was going to remove it but it is sort of cool and I can see it being useful.

2 Likes