Horizontal Flyout

Is there a way, within the PineGrow app, to create a horizontal flyout?
Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

My suggestion would be donā€™t use it. Itā€™s a confusing UI element that doesnā€™t fit with the design of your site. As your site is tailored towards a certain demographic, I would make a straightforward link in the navigation that took them to a testimonial page.

1 Like

Thanks for your response, @Printninja. Iā€™ll take your advise and leave it as is, with the modal collecting the info.
But do you have a lead to where I could learn how to do a flyout as Iā€™ve described? I may have another client who would like one of these on their site that would contain custom content, not a testimonial.

Something like thisā€¦

www.thelightwavegroup.com

1 Like

EXACTLY! OK to ā€˜stealā€™ your code from the page?

Of course. Thatā€™s why I put it up :wink:

Thanks, I appreciate your help. Is this code hand written by you or is it taken from a widget that lies somewhere within PineGrow?

No, not from Pinegrow. It was something I found online some time ago that I modified to look like your example.

@Printninja

ā€˜Stoleā€™ your flyout code and implemented it on my personnel site: https://www.statecollegedev.com/rjrwebz

I think it works slick! Thanks again for your help with this.

Well done! I like the little added touches (border, text shadow.)

This page example breaks at 1900px and above!

Cheers

Thomas

@Thomas
I donā€™t have a 1900px monitorā€¦ what ā€˜breaksā€™ at that rez?

Confirmed. The first line in your style.css stylesheet is
@media only screen and (max-width: 1900px)
So everything above 1900px is unstyled by the rules that follow, which is causing all sorts of display problems.

Why are you using a max-width on the site?

Also, just a few other observationsā€¦

There are text alignment issues with the text ā€œRjRWebzā€ and ā€œYour Site Your Way.ā€ They do not remain centered when the screen width changes.

The images in your portfolio slideshow are blurry, particularly at larger screen sizes.

You might want to consider not using an image for the ā€œAbout Me and My Ratesā€ because the text becomes too small to be readable at smaller screen sizes (also, just a friendly suggestions from one designer to another - you need to at least triple your hourly rate :wink:) Also, whatā€™s with the scary shadow dude holding a gun?!?

Thanks for your input and good points @Printninja ā€¦ I originally did this site as a test project but I am now being encouraged to promote this to a serious self-promotion site - - so Iā€™ll rework the site accordingly. I am in the process of doing higher-res screen captures of my various homepages for the carousel.

BTW, the ā€œscary dudeā€ was to be replaced as soon as my daughter photographer could take my portrait as its replacement (it was an inside joke) but Iā€™ll end the joke and simply place my rates as text as you suggest. FYI, my rates meet my local market expectancy.

@Printninja

Made some progress following your suggestions and have published my site to: https://www.statecollegedev.com/rjrwebz

Howā€™s it looking?

Great! I really donā€™t see any other problems now.

Personal Note:
Iā€™m feeling a lot more confident about creating websites as an independent now that Iā€™m retired and no longer have my staff around to perform the minutiae of building them (fonting, design & layout, coding, etc). Now that Iā€™m wearing all the hats, I feel more confident that I can do this because of forum members as yourself willing to jump in with advice and steer me away from pitfalls. Iā€™ve learned so much but mostly learned that I know so little. So as a retiree, Iā€™m launching an effort to build a part-time business creating websites.

3 Likes

Glad I could help you Randy, and itā€™s inspiring to see that youā€™ve still got a passion to create in your retirement.

If I could go back to when I started building my own website business and give myself one piece of advice, it would be thisā€¦

Learn how to code. Even if you donā€™t actually write any, and use a builder like Pinegrow to create all your sites, understanding the fundamentals of how HTML and CSS works would have saved me so much time and frustrationā€¦ literally YEARS that spent kind of solving problems as they arose. It was like trying to put together a puzzle with no picture, where the pieces were all the same color. Itā€™s possible, but so much harder. When I finally bit the bullet and just did a course from start to finish, it opened up so many possibilities, and clarified things I only vaguely understood.

2 Likes

Tks for your advice @Printninjaā€¦

Like learning any language, it really helps to converse in it than just read about it. So I am learning as I go along, paying attention to how the code works in the background (whereas I could ignore this when I had my staff coder sweating the curly brackets).

iā€™ve learned a lot at https://scrimba.com

most of it is free, but the bootcamp has been worth paying for.