Items in rows are stacking vertically on mobiles

Further update:
So, I tried something new… I used the Firefox browser on the Nexus, and viewed one of my sites.

(Chrome should auto update in the next few hours, from what I have read.)

Firefox displays the site properly in portrait (although, initially, the page is JUST A BIT bigger than the screen, so you have to pinch it in to get it all in there… but it’s just a sliver too big. Single column, and it’s centered

In landscape mode, ithe columns are doing the OLD version of the issue… where they are vertically stacking, rather than stacking side by side. There is a single column of images, going along the left side, with an open space all down the right side (as if there’s a column there (which there SHOULD be), but it’s empty). I imagine it’s trying to do a 2 column layout, but (for whatever reason again) it’s pushing the 2nd column to the left and under the previous item, despite there being space on the right half of the screen.

I have to look into the MD size… I could set it to the same single column layout that I have for SM (or whatever the portrait mode is using). The two are identical, except the landscape mode (which should be 2 columns, I think) has just the one column (or, more accurately, ends UP with one column of images, all pushed to the left)… So, if I make it one column, like the SM mode, it should end up centered, as it is in portrait mode… hopefully.

Stupid question: How do I update Safari on an iTouch? It seems you can only do it by updating the OS… yet my OS is apparently up to date… yet the Safari version is out of date, but I can’t seem to independently update it.

The AppStore app is showing updates available for two apps, but neither are Safari.

Only the whatismybrowser site is indicating that my Safari is (way) out of date… but the iTouch itself is not indicating that.

Updating Safari is probably based on the iOS on your device. If you device doesn’t have any updates to the iOS then it could be that it doesn’t support newer version so you stuck with it.

Ya, I think you’re right.

Well, since it appears to be working on my dad’s iPad, I’ll assume that apple tablets are probably displaying things right.

So, it’s just the Nexus… which also has an out of date browser. I can’t seem to update it unless I log into the account for the Google Play app… and it’s not accepting the password I was given (…he probably changed it since then). So, I just have to wait until he gives me the new one. I suspect that once the browser is updated, it might display properly… or at least better.

As you guys have pointed out, it does seem that there is an issue with the Nexus7. Hopefully, I’ll understand the workarounds well enough to try and include them on my site. More stuff to learn… but then again, a couple of day ago, I didn’t know about browser prefixes.

In the meantime, I’m trying to contact friends who may have other devices, to have them verify the sites are displaying okay.

I guess a question you need to find the answer to is how many of the visitors to the site use this type of device and this version of the browser. you might discover that it is very few or maybe none at all. Either way it would be a consideration to not support it in if this is the case.

Also I just got a pop up window suggesting I should let others join the conversation… :joy:

For sure. Apparently, it’s supposedly pretty popular… but the old browser version is probably an issue only I will run into. I’m talking with the tablet owner, seeing what I can do. May do a factory reset on it, but I think I’d still need an account (even with his gone) to update the apps. All stuff I have to look into…

Web development is full of “painful situations” like this one and this is the reason why Pinegrow is the perfect tool as it allows you to mix visual manipulation of blocks/elements so you can quickly create your documents using quality frameworks like Bootstrap & Foundation and you can also add/edit the HTML code and CSS so you can circumvent specific & difficult situations.

Personal point of view: More seriously, unless there is only one device and only one browser engine in our world (which is not going to happen soon), serious web development (I mean, custom & original work that you intend to sell to customers) will remain a job for very motivated developers for some time …

Knowledge is power :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, trust me. I would be more than happy to learn all that is to be learned. I’m a guy who is constantly teaching myself new things. I’ve done everything from composing film scores, to prosthetic makeup! I just don’t want to get too deep into the constant pursuit of keeping up with very technical aspects, if possible.

Web development is one of the things I’m not keen on pursuing as a career or dominant hobby. I’m already very very involved in 2D animation, 3D modelling/animation, visual effects, and a bunch of other things that also require a lot of dedication and continuous learning of new things.

I’ve only had Pinegrow a few weeks, and I’ve taught myself Boostrap, and recently things like browser prefixes. I’m always interested in learning more. It’s just I have so many other things also requring the same time dedication… and they are more related to my actual career… (…they pay my bills). :slight_smile:

Ya, I’m all too aware that there’s always a lot of compatibility and technical issues involved. As long as Internet Explorer is around, there will always have to be workarounds and compromises! It seems to strive to always throw a wrench in the system. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: And just trying to keep up to date on how to embed video, was enough to make me quit website building a few years ago.

I couldn’t agree more, Pinegrow IS awesome, not only in how reliable and powerful it is, but in how it allows me to both hand code, as well as get assistance with automation when I need it. Having the simultaneous code/visual editor/live displays is extremely valuable for learning and troubleshooting. I was hesitant at first to purchase an editor (since I knew I wasn’t a pro web guy, nor was panning on doing any sites other than my own, and maybe for some close client friends), but I’m really glad I did, as it’s been exteremely rewarding, and impressively stable.

I really suspect that the vertical stacking issue is mostly due to out-of-date browsers, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to fix that on my end. The iTouch won’t let me update it (as you say, it’s most likely linked to the OS itself). The OS is fully up to date (although, it’s an old device, so it’s an old OS, I think). And even if I could update the browser separately, the OS (as you pointed out) might not be able to support it.

As for the Nexus, I might be able to update the browser independently, but I have to get the recent password from the owner of the tablet, as the one provided is not being accepted. So, I just have to wait on that.

In the meantime, if I can get friends to check out the tests on their devices, I’ll have a better idea of how compatible things are. They MUST be okay, seeing as the code is standard and uncomplicated… otherwise, there would be more people than me having issues with the display.

A big thanks to Emmanuel, Rob and schpengle for baring with my fumbling around, trying to quickly learn all this… as well as their efforts and help. As before, all very much appreciated.

I’ll continue to post updates, just in case it may be of use to someone else who is travelling down the same path.

2 Likes

Your welcome :slight_smile: it’s nice to see some good activity and replies going on here :slight_smile: trying to get to the bottom of something. I suspect the browser is fossilised, or media queries are breaking/not breaking at the required places, due to the nexus7 having mulitple screen resolutions and it is the browser that reports the veiwport size back, for correct rendering of the website layout. - and this is saying its something else, some other actual screen size.
and of course, my personal favourite, being a divvi and overwriting the actual bootstrap/custom/styles whatever classes instead of overiding them with a new one.

so, it was nice for me to shut up for a a bit and let others have a go too, since i supect those reasons, butn aren’t too sure how to correct them >:)

1 Like