I'm new to Pinegrow and wow

I’ve been following Pinegrove (off and on via @adamslowe), over the last year and finally decided to pull the trigger and subscribe and I’m extremely impressed. As someone who used to hand code everything back in the “old days” (I’ve been a front-end web developer for over 25 years now), it’s refreshing and fun to get back into it with a tool that takes care of most of the grunt work, while leaving me to do the fun stuff.

This morning, I decided to see if the SCSS compiling supported ‘@use ‘sass:math’;’ because a lot of online ones don’t (WP plugins), and YEP, it does. I know it’s a desktop version, so it should, but it’s just really nice. I’ve been in the WP page builder world for most of the last 10 years, going from Elementor, to Oxygen, to Bricks and Cwicly, to well… just Bricks now. I’ll still use Bricks for the time being while I familiarize myself with Pinegrow, but I envision a day where I’m doing everything in Pinegrow.

It’s funny how cyclical things are in the web world, where they start off simple (hand coding with simple tools), then get overly complicated with less freedom (page builders), then cycle back to simple ways with full freedom (the best of hand coding and page builders combined). So far, Pinegrow feels very familiar, but also pretty complicated, but in a way that makes sense since I’m already familiar with HTML, PHP, CSS, SCSS, PHP, and custom WP theming. I’m looking forward to exploring and learning it more over the weeks, and thank goodness there’s a discourse forum and not a FB one!

10 Likes

UPDATE:

I didn’t realize the WP plugin was included with the desktop purchase as part of the WP add-on, but it seems to be. I downloaded the WP plugin, installed it on a test site, logged in, and I was off to the races! This is great because it means I can develop locally on my Mac with no internet, or online in the browser, which is the best of both worlds.

So far, I’ve had zero issues and everything seems to work as expected. Still feeling WOW!

3 Likes

Hello @msguerra74

First and foremost, on behalf of the entire Pinegrow team, thank you for your initial message. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Then, I apologize for dampening your enthusiasm, but the WordPress plugin is not included in any of the desktop plans. It is a standalone application that is sold separately. However, as a kind of trial version, we provide a free version with certain restrictions.

Happy that you like the plugin version so much :slight_smile:

Also coming from Cwicly, and I also have the wow feeling :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Emmanuel Ah, bummer… I think that may be the only weird thing about Pinegrow is the packaging of the plans. I would think the WP add-on should include the WP functionality as well as access to the plugin. So to have the desktop app w/ the WP add-on and the WP plugin would require 2 subscriptions? Or maybe there should be an all-in-one option that includes everything? The reason I’m curious is because, while I do most of my dev work on my Mac, it would be nice to be able to access things from my iPad when I’m out and about without my Mac.

Also, as a side-note, I sent a support email on Tuesday (Mar 12th) and haven’t gotten a response yet (other than the generic email that said I sent a request). Should I continue to wait, or try sending it again? It was about adding the WooCommerce add-on to my current subscription with the sale price, or if I would need to cancel/refund my current subscription and re-purchase the whole thing to get the sale price on everything. I wouldn’t normally mind waiting for a response, but I’d like to know the answer before the sale price ends if possible.

1 Like

Maybe there is a misunderstanding of the purpose of the WP plugin?

The Pinegrow Web Editor (desktop) runs on macOS, Windows, and Linux. It’s their flagship product and the most feature-rich. It can work with vanilla HTML/CSS/JS projects (without WordPress), or, with the WordPress Builder Module, it can create WordPress themes and block plugins.

There is no need for the Pinegrow WordPress plugin when you use the desktop product. You only need the WordPress Builder module.

The Pinegrow WordPress plugin is a version of the Pinegrow builder that runs inside the browser as a WP Plugin. It includes the WP Builder Module, Tailwind Module, Interactions Module, and WooCommerce Module, which are sold separately as part of the Pinegrow Web Editor (desktop) product. The Pinegrow WordPress plugin version is tailor-made only to create WordPress Classic Themes and Blocks.

Is there a reason why you would want to run both applications?

Thanks, I understand the difference now. I’m fine to work from my Mac most of the time, but there are times when I travel with my iPad Pro instead, so it would be nice to have the option to work from it when I know I’ll be working on a WP-related thing from inside WP. It’s more of a nice-to-have than a necessity, so it’s no biggie.

There is no reason you can’t get a single-site license of the WP Plugin to install on a development server so you work on in those cases. The themes and plugins you build with it don’t need to live on the same server you developed them on.

I would also like to add that, apart from exporting, there is no way to “communicate” between a project created using the desktop version and the plugin version. Therefore, you cannot switch the development of a project from your Mac to your iPad.

As a side note, it does happen that support responses may take a little more than 48 hours, but we always strive to respond within a reasonable timeframe :slight_smile:

Thanks @adamslowe and @Emmanuel! I didn’t think about a single site license to the WP plugin, which I presume you could transfer from one site to the next once you complete one? I also understand that a desktop project would have nothing to do with a project on the WP plugin, but I could start a project in the WP plugin if I knew I would be traveling without my laptop for some reason. Anyway, it’s not a big deal, I just like knowing the options and the limitations of each, so I think I get it all now.

1 Like