Exported blocks not visible in WordPress (solved)

Do not export seems for me the approach which fits more in the current workflow.

But that would mean, that PG has to generate all files which normally get auto exported whenever you turn your project into a WP-Theme into your project-folder (for flagging them later). So that you can manually pick then which files not to export, default could still remain then to export everything and as you do it with other files you would need to add the “do not export” to files you don’t want to be auto-generated!

Written in a few lines, but I guess could be not that easy to implement, as always with feature requests! :wink:

Got the light theme working in PG Live. Temporary mind lapse. Age happens!

1 Like

@iHuman why not use Function action or PHP code blocks directly in the header on the source page, so that any custom code is defined there and will be exported into the header.php? In this way, everything would defined be in the same place (in index.html for example).

1 Like

@matjaz when I insert anything into Pinegrows header.php (includes, etc) it get’s overwritten. I guess I could add custom functions for meta-data etc in the functions.php file (wait…can’t edit that one either)…the custom.php file, but it’s not ideal. Any reason you overwrite header.php and functions.php? How about an option to disable overwrites selectively?

Most of the sites I was building prior to Pinegrow were all hand coded. (Also all Tailwind with Gulp) So I have a system of includes that works really well for me. It’s not necessary for me to have a visual editor like Pinegrow…but I do enjoy it! Pinegrow has convenient features. Can you explain why you overwrite certain files?

@iHuman to add custom code in functions.php, do it in the source project (not in the exported theme) and add your code outside of PG generated sections:

/* Pinegrow generated Load Text Domain Begin */

//This will be overwritten

/* Pinegrow generated Load Text Domain End */

//This will be kept

That said, if you regenerate function.php, any custom edits will be lost.

Therefore it is best to add custom code into inc/custom.php file in the source project.

PG overwrites files that it generates, including headers and function.php.

We could add the following simple logic:

1. PG generates file A
  2. If file A exists in the source project, do not export the file A and instead use the A from the source project

There would have to be some kind of visible warning in order to let users know what is happening, and to avoid confusion as to why some changes done to HTML are not reflected in the exported theme.

This would not work for functions.php because PG needs to control many things in there. The above mentioned would have to be used for that.

1 Like

Great info @matjaz! Adding the logic for the header.php would be wonderful. Thank you. The more I use Pinegrow…the more I love it! I’ve coded sites without a visual editor, moved to Elementor for a while, then Oxygen. I came across Bricks and Pinegrow about the same time…and have been loving it! I’ve been spreading the word on an Oxygen group I’m part of. Pinegrow is a great app, with excellent support. Kudos!

2 Likes

The latest PG Live 6.7.2 addresses the issues mentioned in this topic. See details below and please report any issues into their respective forum topics. Note, these features are considered Beta for now.

1 Like

This is affecting WooCommerce themes/sites aswell.

Basically for anyone who is new to the builder and learning it for the first time (like me), will be doing alot of deleting/redoing/copy/paste/moving elements/changing attributes/changing wordpress actions etc…

So we are destined to reproduce these bugs.

At the moment for me, I cant edit the header & footer for my product archive pages. No matter what I do, they stay the same, hardcoded. I tried deleting the WP export folder, then the header and footer got deleted completely (or replaced by default WP header&footer) but didn’t get replaced with my own custom header and footer when I re-exported the theme.

Are you sure you cant release the bug fixes you mention in a sub-release so we can try and hope it works, so we can continue working on our sites and be happy Pinegrow users :slight_smile:

I sent a ticket to your support aswell regarding this.

Regards,

Majd

1 Like

@madjedo Although they are related to a header concern, there is no immediate indication that your issues are similar. As you indicate, a support procedure is underway with you.

So the issue is now fixed and was not related. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure if the issue resurfaced for me. I’m actually following @adamslowe YouTube tutorials to get the hang of Pinegrow. I’ve created the block and added the action yet Wordpress doesn’t show the block.

Sorry to ask such an obvious question, but have you activated the block plugin inside WordPress?

(At least once per week I try to add a block only to realize that I never activated the plugin for it)

Interesting enough there isn’t one on the list. And no worries, I know troubleshooting starts with the obvious. lol

Just for the sake of argument I followed the Pinegrow tutorial here Creating Your First Block | Pinegrow Web Editor

It resulted in the same issue.

a few more questions:

1. Are you using the desktop version of Pinegrow or the WP plugin?
  2. If you are using the desktop version, is the plugin path in your WordPress settings (in Pinegrow) set to a subdirectory in your WordPress plugin directory?
  3. Can you see the exported files in the plugin path?

I’m using the desktop version which is 7.72 with Wordpress Version 6.4.3. Well, it’s a theme not a plugin. The short answer is yes. I’ve made it pretty far in your YouTube tutorial so I would think I would be having other issues if it didn’t. Please do correct me if i’m wrong.

It seems to have added code in functions.php, and seems to have created the employee-grid_register.php file, and employee-grid.js files.

I have Blocks tye set to Regular Javascript/React blocks (if no PHP WP actions). Nothing else is changed from default.

Sorry I couldn’t get screenshots sooner. Since I’m a Pinegrow newbert, the forum wouldn’t let me upload. lol

Everything looks okay from the screenshots you posted, but it’s odd that you are having this same issue with one of my tutorials and one of Pinegrow’s tutorials.

Is there any chance you can zip up your project directory and post a link? It might also be worth opening a support ticket since they probably have certain things they instinctively know can trip people up.

Sure. Here’s a link. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U6o1uDuNScVAr0fWk_AnER5CmCrAFTgp/view?usp=sharing

Your training is spot besides a slight hiccup with me not reading a PG dialog box properly. I was surprised myself.

Hello Gary,

I just loaded your theme into Pinegrow (7.93 in my case), exported it to a local WordPress session, activated the theme, and I can see the block you defined.

note: Later during the week-end, I will try with 7.72.

Update: Same project loaded with 7.72 does not load/show the block.
Investigations in progress to determine what is causing the issue.

1 Like

@MageHD

FOUND!
Gosh, I almost forgot about this one :robot::

You can read all about the issue here > How to prevent WordPress 6.4 breaking the editing of all Pinegrow blocks | Pinegrow Web Editor

SHORT : This is a known “specific situation” where you will have to use the dedicated plugin (that we provide for free) on your WordPress site to make your blocks created with Pinegrow < 7.8 visible and usable on WordPress setups >= 6.4.

Alternatively, you can renew/upgrade Pinegrow to the latest version that no longer requires the use of any plugins.

3 Likes