How are all the various styles.css related?

When I need to change styles.css, I’m getting the results that I need, but I’m worried that I’m doing it inefficiently, or losing changes, or basically messing it up. I have found the following versions:

The one in my project
One in _pgexport
A SASS version styles.scss
A SASS version in _pgexport\sass
a whole lot in _pgbackup, which are surely historical copies

and then the one in wordpress\wp-content\themes\themename
and wordpress\wp-content\themes\themename\sass

I’m assuming the only one I should change is the first one, and others are built from that, but I notice that by the time it gets to wordpress, some comments (theme name etc.) have been added at the top.but I don’t see where I can influence the values that are added, except for the theme name. For instance: Author or Description. I change styles.css either through the CSS panel in pinegrow or in an external editor.

I also assume the set in _pgexport is copied to the theme in wordpress on my local PC. When I want to use the modified theme on a hosted site, I FTP copy from my local wordpress/theme/themename to the remote one.

Lastly, I have no idea how I would use the SASS version, or even if that’s a good idea.

So, am I changing it properly, how do I change the name descritpion etc, and what’s the story on SASS?

Many Thanks!

_pgexport is a folder with the content of your theme export. It is automatically generated and YOU must not touch it or work on the files from that folder

_pgbackup is the folder which contain the files from the automatic backup system
(see settings > Save backup files to _pgbackup folder

style.scss is the SASS version of style.css
If you don’t use or don’t plan to use SASS in your project (because it’s not your thing or/and because its absolutely not mandatory), the file is useless.
Have a look at my post here to learn about using external apps with Pinegrow (including SASS) http://docs.pinegrow.com/editing/designer-feedback-working-pinegrow-external-applications

Everything in your theme folder is the result of the export from PG BUT your HTML files with WP actions are transformed into PHP files through the process.

1 Like

Thanks, Much as I had thought. I had seen your post about external apps before but it was a good refresher. I think my poor ancient brain would prefer that I kept the development stack as simple as possible. (I’m wondering whether it will explode when I try to go back to developing WIndows apps or editing videos!)

How about the first few lines in styles.css? How do I control the values that get copied there?

And I presume it’s OK to delete older stuff in _pgbackup? Is there an automatic restore function to go back to a previous point? (I’ve just done it manually when I needed to go back a bit, which is fine for my needs.)

David

PS I just took our family website live on the new theme I built with Pinegrow - it looks great! You guys have created a wonderful tool!

1 Like