How to create a fluid (expandable) row in a master page for text in pages using that master page?

Hi,

I was trying to set up a row +/- columns in a master page that I could use to add variable amounts of text with pages that use that master page. I added a row in bootstrap 5 but the row could not be expanded in pages using that master page.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
@Richard

Hi @Richard,
Could you post a sketch or code example of what you are trying to achieve. It is sometimes a little hard to visualize. I’m thinking that you add a repeatable action to the row element.
Cheers,
Bob

Hi @RobM

Forgive my delayed response. I have attached a pic of the master pages and what I am trying to add in. I have also pic’ed the code and tree.

The bulk text in my page is variable for different pages and I am trying to get the row to automatically resize.

@Richard

Tree_CAID_Master_Draft

Hi @Richard,
Just so I understand your images.
The first is the full page - I guess a child page, but looking at a lower picture, I’m not sure?
The second is your Master page with the content removed and just the header and footer.
The next is code for the text in the row that you want to “expand”.
The final is the DOM tree of the Master with that column from the code highlighted.

So the questions are:
What changes from page to page and what stays the same?
By row expansion, do you mean you want extra columns added within that row?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi @RobM,

The first page is not a child page of the master as I cannot have the row where I have placed text expand - the page is a duplicate of the master before I set the master to master. Although, the plan is that the first page will be created from the master page in the second image [I have attempted to run through manuals for what is considered top, parent, & child in Pinegrow but have had no success yet.]

When I attempt to put test into the row (white background) above the row containing “Donate”, I receive the attached message. Again, I am new at Pinegrow and in a learning process.

Thanks
@Richard

Hi @Richard,
It is really hard to troubleshoot much from some screenshots.
I feel as though you are not using the CMS system quite correctly. Again,

1. What stays the same from page to page - so it will be defined on the Master, and what changes - so has to be editable?

From the error message it looks like you defined a component on the (main) Master page and you are trying to edit it on a different page? Any defined component can only be edited on the page where it is defined.
Bob

Thanks @RobM,

I had hoped to be able to set a row +/- columns on a master page that could change size to accommodate more or less text in a row/column on pages created from that master page (child pages?). I note that rows/columns adjust well to varying amounts of test when a page is not created from a master page. I had hoped that by defining a row/column as editable on a master page, that I could then have a row/column change sizes to accommodate different amounts of text on child (?) pages created from those master pages.

If Pinegrow is unable to accommodate this function, I can genuinely say it is a function that a large number of people will use once developed and included in Pinegrow.

Thanks you for your help,

@Richard

Hi @Richard,
I’m still not completely sure what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want a row that you can add any number of columns into?
If so, Pinegrow can do that. Depending on what you want there are several ways to accomplish this. I encourage you to read through the documentation on Master pages.
Cheers,
Bob

I did read through about master pages but may have misunderstood them… I have placed a row on my master page with a 100px minimum (so I can see it). I went to actions and defined the row to be editable. Then a created a new page with that master page as the master for the new page. I then went in to add (paste in) a text block that required a bigger row than 100px and received the warning I showed you. The row, even though editable, could not receive the larger text segment as it was unable to change size (?).

Does that help @RobM?

@Richard

Hi @Richard,
Partially helpful. Can you give a screenshot of the Action box? Checking the “Inner content” should be enough to allow you to enter or delete whatever you want.
Cheers,
Bob

Hi @RobM,

Here is the screen shot. Not certain if it will help.

@Richard

Hi @Richard,
Thanks for the screenshot. I duplicated your Action and can add columns (or other elements into my row:

Extra columns:
With extra heading element

Not sure what else is going on. The screenshot is from the Master page and the top of the page where you are changing things says “Use Master”. Correct?
Bob

Thanks for Replying @RobM,

• Using a child page from my Master Page, I tried to copy my column with text from another page and past it into the editable row. That did not work.
  • Then, I dragged a column from the Boostrap library to the editable row and it went in while adjusting the size of the row to fit (Great, but strange). Which is what you did.
  • Then I pasted in my column with text into the new column that I had grabbed from the library. This Worked! The row adjusted its size to accommodate. I then indented out, deleted the new column I had put in from the library, and indented to place the column with text that I had been trying to get in for almost a week.

I do not know why I had to go through a new column as an intermediary, but it works. Likely there is a slight glitch somewhere. I have placed in the code (all of it) that I had been trying to get in so that someone can look at it to see why I could not paste it in directly.

Thank you for your help!!!
@Richard

<div id="txt_1" style="position: sticky; left: 210px; top: 140px;">
                    <p class="Body P-8" style="text-align: center; font-size: 25px;"><span class="C-9"><b style="color: #7b0b0b;">Home</b></span></p> 
                    <p class="Normal2 P-10"><span class="C-7">CAID is about a practical approach to rebuilding what was destroyed; Indigenous societal infrastructure and a sovereign destiny in a shared Canada. Through a culturally respectful <a title="Meaningful Aboriginal Consultation in Canada: Definition" href="http://caid.ca/mean_consult_define.html" target="_blank" class="C-6">consultation process</a>, Indigenous and mainstream rights can be harmonized to create an underlay for detailed consultation, infrastructure building, the reconciliation of rights, culturally respectful healing, resource and land management, and programs for service delivery. </span></p>
                    <p class="Normal2 P-10"><span class="C-7">Canada was colonized at the expense of its Indigenous Peoples. The British started the forced assimilation and cultural genocide but the federated Dominion of Canada continued the policy in 1867 with its first Prime Minister, Sir John A. MacDonald. </span></p> 
                    <p class="Normal2 P-10"><span class="C-7">Canada used four primary tools to destroy Indigenous culture and infrastructure. They were: Wardship, the <span class="C-11">Indian Act</span>, forced relocation and forced residential schooling. Central in the Government of Canada&rsquo;s plan was the utilization of Christian churches. The Government of Canada oversaw Christian mission work and mandated most residential school administration to a handful of Christian church denominations. The result was two Canada&rsquo;s; one for those of privilege, European colonists; one for those without a future, &ldquo;Indians.&rdquo; </span></p> 
                    <p class="Normal2 P-10"><span class="C-7">Most <a title="Church Apologies to Aboriginal People in Canada" href="http://caid.ca/church_apology.html" target="_blank" class="C-6">church denominations apologized</a> for their roles in Indian Residential Schooling. Federal, provincial and territorial <a title="Canada's Apology to Aboriginal People" href="http://caid.ca/canada_apology.html" target="_blank" class="C-6">governments apologized</a> to Canada&rsquo;s Inidgenous Peoples. Unfortunately, very little has changed to include First Nation, Inuit and Métis rights into Canada and resolve <a title="Embedded Forced Assimilation Barriers" href="http://caid.ca/efabs.html" target="_blank" class="C-6">iniquities embedded in the country</a>. This is because the <a title="Doctrine of Discovery" href="http://caid.ca/doc_dom.html" target="_blank" class="C-6">Doctrine of Discovery</a> and its <a title="Framework of Colonization" href="http://caid.ca/framework.html" target="_blank" class="C-6">Framework of Colonization</a> still function to continue colonization and assimilation.</span></p>
                    <p class="Normal2 P-11"><span class="C-12">A<span class="C-13">s part of the assimilation process, modern community infrastructure and economies were only extended to Indigenous communities when it served corporate resource interests or furthered colonization. The more north or isolated a community was, the less infrastructure it received. Current gaps in Indigenous health care, education, housing, nutrition, policing, safe drinking water, economies, justice and more are reflections of infrastructure levels currently available to Indigenous communities. Health problems, suicide rates, poverty, lack of housing and <span class="C-14">etc</span>. are all consequences of the assimilation process.</span> &nbsp;</span></p> 
                </div>

Hey @Richard,
That is really strange, but I’m glad you got it to work. I was able to delete all of the elements out of the editable row and put that code in no problem. Not sure where the hiccup occurred.
Bob

Hi @RobM,

I am not certain what version of Pinegrow you are using. I am on version 6.4. Perhaps it is a version??

Regardless, thank you for your help.

@Richard