Ok, Mobirise offer

Following on from a discussion in another channel/room/whatever I thought It better to post this over here.

Mobirise, the Free app, has its last day of yet another Black Friday deal (I swear I am going to have to get a flame thrower to clear my inbox of Black Friday deals)

and its here
https://mobirise.com/extensions/kit/?utm_source=mob_bf18&utm_medium=program&utm_campaign=mob_bf18prog_news

Get to the end and you will see the bit where it says about the important bit about a code editor - which isn’t in Mobirise natively.
SO, if you hate code, this may be another way forward too.
If you EVER want to break out of the damned *box model, everything looks so boxy and Bootstrap ish)

Your going to wish you had that.

Yeah, I responded on the other thread… Mobirise is “eh” okay. I mean, it’s free, so you can’t complain too much, but to actually do anything serious with it, you have to play for their plug-ins which are actually a bit pricey.

A much better alternative (IMO) is Bootstrap Studio, which is only $60 for the full version with lifetime upgrades (and they do update the program often.) It has a great user community, and the program produces code that’s just as clean as Pinegrow.

It is, however, limited to Bootstrap, and certain parts of Bootstrap are “locked down” so newbies can’t break their websites. But, it has a built-in code editor that lets you easily overwrite the static Bootstrap CSS, so if you’re willing to learn CSS and HTML, you can do just about anything with the program. It has a much better selection of icons than PG, built-in animation, and its implementation of Google Fonts is better.

Where it falls short of PG is that it can’t open existing HTML pages. It has a relatively small number of templates. Like PG, it doesn’t support multiple monitors. It also has a view odd quirks, but the UI is in some ways better than PG’s, and the program feels smoother in operation. Also, it’s “undo/redo” works the way Pinegrow’s should, but that’s because you can’t have multiple pages open at the same time (however you can have multiple sites open at the same time!) It also has a MUCH simpler way of creating linked components (like navigation, footers) that span multiple pages, and it’s very easy to define and save your own “blocks” the library. There is also an easily accessible library of other blocks other people have created.

If you could take the best from Bootstrap Studio and combine it with Pinegrow, you’d have a website program for the ages.

oh that’s in depth! cheers. yes I started to look at it again and once I saw the HUGE Black Friday deal… I realised that… that’s all the stuff you need. looked at the normal prices and realised why I never went down that road.

Pinegrow is still the dogs danglies for me.

And, I don’t want just a bootstrap app as… I think they all look the same/ie/suck a bit

Mobirise is ok if you wish to produce a quick page and do not care about the code. Full of junk and extras.

I would compare Mobirise to Pinegrow like this:

Mobirise = like riding on a bus - will get you there after many stops
Pinegrow = like being the bus driver and owning it - have full control of the ride:)

1 Like

I used Mobirise to create a site recently, thinking I could throw something together really quickly, so I can share my experience…

It’s incredibly easy to build simple Bootstrap pages by dragging in page blocks. But in the end I found myself needing to create quite a bit of custom HTML and CSS to make things look and work the way I wanted, and it’s not that much fun working with the code in their themes. Where it really falls down is if you want a page of text. Nobody wants every paragraph inside its own div, so once again you’re on your own.

But the thing that bothers me the most about Mobirise is the deceptive marketing and pricing. In a marketing email, and in the app itself, the description under the All-in-One Kit clearly states, 'Get ALL current and future Mobirise themes and extensions …’, but an almost hidden FAQ says that you only get new add-ons for 1 year from purchase. Worse still, on this page http://forums.mobirise.com/discussion/18977/is-that-scam a customer is told that if they update the Mobirise app, they have to re-purchase everything (the code editor, themes, etc) all over again.

So it’s an app I might recommend to beginner DIYers if they just use it for free. I don’t think the paid themes are worth the price, even with those Black Friday discounts.

WOAH!!! that’s bad!
and also the

Get ALL current and future Mobirise themes and extensions …’, but an almost hidden FAQ says that you only get new add-ons for 1 year from purchase.

Man that is sneaky. Cheers for the heads up.

That’s another thing I like about Pinegrow Philosophy is the incredibly transparent pricing and EMPHASIS on explaining that you don’t have to worry about paying for a new version update if you’re within your Years payments. And the fact that they help people out who are on Low income…and do charity work and and…

ok, that’s enough from me :slight_smile:

Bootstrap Studio is Mobirise done correctly. It’s priced very fairly, and updated regularly. Mobirise is full of “bait-n-switch” tactics. The “free” version is pretty much useless, and it’s engineered to get you to spend money on optional “features” which would be standard in any professional website builder.

No worries. Another sneaky thing Mobirise does is sprinkle Mobirise links throughout your code. Various blocks have elements that link to the Mobirise site by default, so you just have to be careful not to forget to replace these with your own links. It also dynamically inserts some code with a hidden link, so even if you remove all the Mobirise links from your HTML, you’ll find some of it magically returns on the published page. (I think I found a way to disable this, but I can’t remember what I did now.)

Oh, and if you accidentally create an account with them, there’s no obvious way to delete it. I learnt the hard way that if you try and sign in with the wrong email address, Mobirise goes ahead and creates another account for you without asking your permission! And the only way to delete it seems to be to email their customer support.

So yes, all in all, the company and software just smells of sneakiness.

Agreed! It’s all made very clear.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it’s useless. A friend of mine, who has no coding experience whatsoever, was trying to build something in WordPress when he really didn’t need all that bloat. I suggested he try Mobirise (I warned him about some of the things discussed) and he was able to produce a very attractive and usable site without paying a cent. So it has its niche, as I’ve yet to find any other desktop software that makes it so easy for non-coders. I guess that’s the gap Pinegrow’s ‘seedling app’ will hopefully fill when it’s released—and no doubt do it better.

Bootstrap Studio does look quite good. I’ve not used it in production (only tested it), but one thing I didn’t love was the lack of round-trip code editing—that is, to edit the HTML, components need to be converted to HTML, and then you lose all ability to modify using the GUI. (It sounds like the new Pinegrow app may have similar limitations.) I also found some other annoyances, like the temperamental nature of the undo shortcut (at least on the Mac), the publish feature, and again, the inability to easily create and edit a continuous flow of text without having to drag and drop paragraphs one at a time. Why do all these apps take something that should be easy, and make it painful?

Mind you , there are some random web creation apps around that we never seem to hear about.

https://www.ambiera.com/rocketcake/index.html

They also do website painter. Non responsive.
the first is free and creates responsive websites apparently.:slight_smile:
basic but free. and maybe fun.

I might just check it out.
Slightly off piste, but just adding to the basic for a friend who doesn’t code kind of thing.

Also, with regards Wordpress sites, I am wondering
what will happen with Gutenberg and how that will shake things up in the non coders world of website creation.
I think it might be great.
but its certainly going to mess with some of the builders.
I was wondering about the likes of beaver builder etc and our PG WP theme dev version.

Lately I’ve been finding this site kind of useful…

Finding a 100% free website building app that builds modern, responsive sites with no coding required and absolutely no strings attached is like finding the goose that lays golden eggs. I’m not sure such an animal exists.

As for your issues with Bootstrap Studio (BS), it’s true that it doesn’t allow direct editing of the HTML, and this is by design, so that beginners can’t easily “break” their sites. They also lock-down the raw Bootstrap CSS, but it does have a built in CSS editor, so you can easily write new rules to override the stock Bootstrap. Without that ability, I’d find the program too restrictive, but being able to write custom CSS pretty much lets you do anything you want, since virtually all the HTML objects are available for drag-n-drop.

I don’t use the internal publishing (FTP to their server) as I have my own server, but the export feature works perfectly and then I use FIlezilla. Undo has never given me any problems, but I’m on a PC. I’m not sure what you’re referring to re: “edit a continuous flow of text.” If you mean creating paragraphs in a single

item, you have to hold the shift+enter to get a . The program doesn’t have a built-in non-breaking space which users have been clamouring for for years now. THAT I do find frustrating.

BS is my go-to program after Pinegrow. It’s ability to quickly and easily create reusable “blocks” in a user library, complete with linked CSS and images, is ingenious. I can rough out a site for a client in a day thanks to this.

The quantity and variety of apps we have available to us these days is the double-edged sword isn’t it. It’s great to have choices, but I can see another day getting swallowed up by testing more of these things! As it is, I tested over 15 apps (including some prototyping apps) and Pinegrow came out on top for me overall. :slight_smile:

Yep, I just mean you ought to be able to hit return/enter at the end of the paragraph to generate another one. Pretty basic stuff, and something we’ve been doing in every other text-based app since the 18th century. But in some of these apps, each paragraph has to be dragged and dropped, while hitting return/enter just generates a <br>, not a new paragraph.

In typesetting, it’s pretty standard for a shift+return to generate a soft return or line break ( <br> in HTML terms), so if that’s what Bootstrap Studio does to generate a new paragraph, I find that a bit back-to-front.

Text on a web page is not the same as text in typesetting. There are reasons for splitting paragraphs with the <p> tag as opposed to using a <br>. For example, if you use the <br> to create paragraphs and then change the line-height, you will also change the spacing between paragraphs. That spacing is better controlled by using margin or padding rules. The <br> tag has its uses (a poem, or an address for example) but best practices is to separate paragraphs using the <p> tag.

1 Like

You’re preaching to the converted mate. :smile: Line breaks (<br>) should be used very sparingly indeed (regardless of whether you’re typesetting a book or coding a web page). I think you misunderstood my last point, which is the expected behaviour is:

Enter/Return key = new paragraph
Shift + Enter/Return key = line break

I’m not sure why any app would want to reverse this behaviour, and require you to enter Shift + Enter/Return to generate a new paragraph.

Well BS doesn’t reverse it. Shift+enter = <br> and plain ‘enter’ exits the editor. I agree it’s not expected behavior if you’re used to the way regular text editors work, but I have encountered it in other builders. I presume there is a method to their madness.

Okay, then I misunderstood. When you said ‘creating paragraphs in a single item’, I assumed you meant genuine <p> paragraphs.

In that case yes, it’s the behaviour I’ve noticed in various builders too. I don’t know about ‘method’ but I’ll agree that it’s ‘madness’ that you can’t easily generate a new paragraph by pressing Enter/Return. That’s the Return key’s purpose! It’s just bad design IMO.