Ok, Mobirise offer

I wouldn’t say it’s useless. A friend of mine, who has no coding experience whatsoever, was trying to build something in WordPress when he really didn’t need all that bloat. I suggested he try Mobirise (I warned him about some of the things discussed) and he was able to produce a very attractive and usable site without paying a cent. So it has its niche, as I’ve yet to find any other desktop software that makes it so easy for non-coders. I guess that’s the gap Pinegrow’s ‘seedling app’ will hopefully fill when it’s released—and no doubt do it better.

Bootstrap Studio does look quite good. I’ve not used it in production (only tested it), but one thing I didn’t love was the lack of round-trip code editing—that is, to edit the HTML, components need to be converted to HTML, and then you lose all ability to modify using the GUI. (It sounds like the new Pinegrow app may have similar limitations.) I also found some other annoyances, like the temperamental nature of the undo shortcut (at least on the Mac), the publish feature, and again, the inability to easily create and edit a continuous flow of text without having to drag and drop paragraphs one at a time. Why do all these apps take something that should be easy, and make it painful?