Bootstrap 4 Customiser. How do Pinegrow and Bootstrap 3 customiser compare - and where is BS V4 one?

Hello there. I was just posting on a query by @randyrie and that made me look some stuff up.

So! we have this fine video from Pinegrow , showing how to Customise Pinegrow theme using Pinegrow’s built in functionality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4ciqMHQIKs.

IS this the way to go? So start learning the whole SASS stuff in order to better go about this,
instead of just. creating a my-styles.css kind of thing and over riding the BS styles which seems a bit enefficient, as pointed out in this comment

By RoyTruelove.

which says this.

Now, does this NEGATE the use of such things as the Bootstrap 3 customiser?

And why is there NO version of this for BS 4?
…although I do see that they SELL …custom BS themes…ok then!
maybe this is why?

So This

https://getbootstrap.com/docs/3.4/customize/

and

and

and Since I’m at it, I remember seeing tools that would customise your BS framework and chop out all the stuff. you didnt require - which of course , would be a pain if you then wished to implement something in an update…if you didnt have the original in your repository.

such as

so second question,

What is a good way to go about cutting out all the stuff you don’t need in a Bootstrap build site?

and…finally final! …so probably my 3rd Question…maybe 4th. lost track.

is there much point in starting to learn BS 3 now or go straight into 4,
for myself as I I have very few BS projects to play with, and as for backwards compatibility or upgrading, has anyone used tools like these

http://upgrade-bootstrap.bootply.com
to upgrade BS 3 to 4

DISCLAIMER

I have not really put enough footwork into all this myself yet, so I don’t expect a guided tour, just some pointers to the best practice and some links to send me on my way.
Cheers :slight_smile:

I prefer to leave Bootstrap as is, and just make my own classes for things like colors and such. The reason is because I have my own class names I’ve come up with over time that mean specific things to me (like .att-text-sub for example.) I’ve never used SASS or tried customizing that way, though at some point I’m sure I will.

I wouldn’t waste time learning Bootstrap 3.x at this point. It just gets confusing when you have to jump back and forth between the two.

I also don’t see the point in chopping out unused Bootstrap classes because the current obsession with compactness and load speed (eg. Google’s Accelerated Mobile Pages) will be short-lived. It reminds me of when storage was super expensive, and we used to use utilities that did real-time compression and decompression of files to save hard drive space. Right now, we’re stuck on 4G and a lot of places only have 3G, but this will change. By the end of the 2020’s, 5G will be ubiquitous, and nobody will care about saving a few dozen kb of data in a CSS file.

Cheers.
Well, Welcome to Wales!
We are a bit rural in places… And 3G is pushing it.

I hope 5g never happens as the infrastructure is aweful and inefficient.

But as for the rest of it, yeah.

… I might try and learn the Pinegrow/Sass thing on the PG Video…
and then get to play with the big Boys in the web world… yeah…right! :slight_smile:

So have you tried those customising things on line, or never o seems like to much humph , when you just want a few colours changed?

Ok Next contribution? :slight_smile:

I’ve yet to try customizing Bootstrap via an of the online tools or Pinegrow’s own ability. It’s just quicker and easier to write a new class as I need it. But learning HOW to do it is on my to-do list.

1 Like