How do I modify the list of required plugins in a theme I develop?

I’d like to add a plugin to the list (Responsive Lightbox) and I don’t need the WooCommerce and some others on the list, so I’d prefer to be able to change what appears when I install my theme. How do I do that, please?

It’s also rather intimidating to see a whole list of plugins and only have two options (Begin installing and dismiss this notice). Can you document what happens when you click “Begin installing” - there’s no indication of whether it will offer an initial selection screen, or just start downloading and installing.

Lastly (probably a WordPress question, not PineGrow) can I provide default settings for the plugins, rather than have to set them individually after each install?

Thanks for any answers!

1 Like

As far as what happens when you click ‘begin installing,’ I was dubious about that at first but it just offers you to install plugins singally or all at once via check boxes so, you only need install what you want.

1 Like

Thanks - there was never an occasion when I felt I had enough free time to try this and find out!

1 Like

TGM-Plugin-Activation is included in the Starter Theme V1.2.

TGM Plugin Activation is a PHP library that allows you to easily require or recommend plugins for your WordPress themes (and plugins). It allows your users to install, update and even automatically activate plugins in singular or bulk fashion using native WordPress classes, functions and interfaces.

You can reference bundled plugins, plugins from the WordPress Plugin Repository or even plugins hosted elsewhere on the internet.

Mandatory and recommended plugins can now be activated directly from the theme and you can – of course – customize the values by editing the corresponding section in functions.php

We highly recommend you to read TGMPA documentation before modifying the default values.

2 Likes

TGM looks very interesting and powerful.

1 Like

Ok.

1. Is the Jetpack plugin really required for the starter theme? Why? I made themes without Jetpack (with starter theme).
  2. I would prefer to not have that notice showing up in admin. An easy way without having to study the whole TGMPA thing?
    Thanks.