I want a nav bar that uses this effect

…where the stuff behind the main image is folded up and over the top of it, like a hat, as shown in the nearly edge on view of the disk.

go.

I really can’t tell what you’re driving at here. This image seems visually confusing to me, but moreover, why would you want a navbar (I assume button) to do this? Seems very “2000’s animated giffy” to me. Yuck!

only half serious, but when i saw how the part of the disk behind the black hole folds up and goes over the top of the center image, this is what came to mind:

a nav bar (in the round) spread out around the disk with the button has:focus moved onto the folded up location over the image.

i might have even seen this before in some video game interface or DVD menu… yes, it is rather cheeky, and probably requres js (blech)

This has been done using js, but I don’t think it’s really very feasible as it takes up a lot of resources.

This is a transition effect that I localized from codepen, but then never used.

SomeJSFun

Oh, so you want the entire navigation to do this. I get it now. I may have seen something like this as well a long time ago. There was a time when web designers went hog wild creating all sorts of graphically novel navigation interfaces. But eventually the public settled on function over form in terms of what it wanted from the internet. I remember back in the 2000’s some flash websites for upcoming motion pictures that we super extravagant. Eventually designed kinda got the message that just because you can do something with a website, doesn’t mean you should.

Still, a part of me misses the creativity of the early web.

1 Like

I’ve never seen this effect both of you are talking about. Is there any example of it on the web?

I have the same aversion to js as @droidgoo.

I wouldn’t know where to begin to look for it. I’ve seen so many cool web-related things over the years but never kept track or saved any of them until I started building sites myself about ten years ago.

I don’t have an aversion to js per se, I’m just not looking forward to the massive effort it’s going to take to learn it. But that’s how I’ve felt about everything in web design. For years I resisted learning responsive design, and stuck to building static sites, until it started to cost me clients (ie. money!)

JS (along with HTML and CSS) is how the web works. It’s not going away anytime soon, so it makes sense to learn it. You can do a lot with snippets, but there’s a certain satisfaction that comes with knowing how those snippets do the things they do. And being able to make your own.

yes, and it’s wonderful that they have it compiling just ahead of the execute.

But, what I don’t like is everyone has direct access to all of the code. There are just some things that you would want to keep private.

Certainly nothing is secure on the web, especially SSL since it is such a big target.

Sure wish I could find what you are talking about on the web… just one example would do it.

Yeah, I don’t think there’s any way to hide javascript, since it has to be delivered to the browser to execute. Of course, you’d never put any important data in a javascript, now would you? :thinking:

No, it gets delivered in the HTML which is just as bad. However, since js is client-side it has been used to unencrypt data delivered to the browser.

But even how it works… nothing is hidden. It is what it is. Send off to some authority to get your keys. I think https://letsencrypt.org/ is trying to help.

I’m not saying that I don’t know js… I’m just not 100% onboard. Basic (various), fortran, c, c++, c#, cobol, php, pascal, delphi, java, python, even some ruby. Oop this and oop that, honestly it just doesn’t matter anymore.

It is quite tiresome, though I can tell you that! I like using as little as I need to get the job done. But I do like the concept behind Pinegrow Pro, but I am probably more apt to use PGSibling even though I am an avid programmer.

I was looking to possibly have some fun with some new fresh ideas. Perhaps @droidgoo can help us out in finding something.

1 Like