Number FIVE.....is.....ALIVE!

This is very funny, thanks! :slight_smile:

So, continuing in a lighthearted and honest mode:

The Mystery of the W

At first I thought nobody noticed it. And then I read this thread. Looks like we’re getting better at marketing, awakening attention and viral discussions with moves like this :slight_smile:

The W stands for… Web Editor.

The idea behind including it in the UI was to prepare the ground for expanding product range under a unified Pinegrow umbrella. We would combine the Pine logo with a letter to identify a product. But, considering the feedback here, we’ll have to go back to the lab with this strategy.

About WordPress

We have no intention on pushing WP on Pinegrow users. As cleared above - W is not WP. We do include the WP panel in the standard UI because it lets users discover the feature. Looking back at the release history, most of our effort - 90%+ - goes into improvement of general purpose HTML & CSS editing features. And there are no plans to change that.

Pride & Competition

Here I’m taking the liberty to talk for our whole team - @Emmanuel, @MhdAljuboori feel free to correct me. All of us are non-North Americans. Due to our culture and upbringing, feeling proud in our work doesn’t come that naturally - even more so publicly expressing it. In our parts of the world, modesty is a virtue and there is not much notion of a positive pride, feeling proud for something good you did. Of course, this doesn’t make much rational sense.

So props to @Emmanuel for stepping out of the comfort zone :slight_smile:

The truth is that the whole of Pinegrow - not just the WP builder - is pretty amazing!

So, just let us enjoy this pride for a moment :wink: And don’t worry - it will not corrupt us.

Lots of revived creativity is happening in web-development-tool space at the moment. Some is driven (or inspired) by us and some by our competitors. And that process brings benefits to all who engage in developing and designing for the web.

It also prevents us from feeling complacent.

That said, I also don’t plan on loosing any sleep over what our competitors are doing. We do try to learn from their mistakes and successes, but we have our vision and our approach. And even if we make mistakes (and we do lots of them for sure), we’re in this game for a long run, which means that we have the time to fix them.

Pinegrow 5 promotion

There is a very boring reason for delaying our social posts a bit. The Windows installer is not signed, because the code signing certificate expired last week. Of course, I discovered this when building release packages on the night before the release.

That said, I’m the first in line to admit that we have under-developed marketing skills. I know that it often doesn’t look like that - but we are trying to improve at marketing and listen to our community input on this.

Which brings us to…

Appreciating your feedback & input

On this we should be evaluated based on our actions, not just words. Many features proposed by our users here actually end up implemented. Pinegrow 5 is a good example of that.

It might take a year or more for good ideas to end up in the product, not because we’re lazy and don’t care, but because things take their time, and there are always many tasks competing for limited attention and resources.

Some things are simply hard to make, for example multi-monitor support. Pinegrow is not a native app, it’s basically a web app. That makes implementing classical multi-window UI difficult. I’ll propose some hybrid ideas in a separate thread.

Secondly, we’re trying to be open about what we are doing, without formalities or pretending that we’re more competent than we actually are. For me, that makes it more fun - even on days when I discover people don’t appreciate my W :slight_smile:

5 Likes