PG Pro new user first glance

Pulled trigger purchased license it appears to be the deal now days for my new pet project pandora…
Giving you a first look POV…
I’m running dual displays

Have used the MacOS since 1992

UI menus to me appears to violate Apple UI design standards ???
Menus are contained in one floating application window - took me a bit to understand my annoyance - just odd - mildly inefficient - Requires me to mouse back over to the display holding the menus instead of being repeated on both displays

Took a bit to understand functional logic on code errors on import or opening page first time and how to track it down - seemed buggy , keyword seem , basically as new user getting unexpected behavior clear as mud a I know just trying to jam it out here while fresh on my mind

Couldn’t seem to do an error check on css page - no clue if PGpro is doing this invisibly and I had a 100% clean page of code - seems too good to be true

Arranging the workspace to my liking not intuitive at all and annoying
Later it tells me it is not standard or allowed etc restart app etc - uh why ?

It seems there are more than one way to edit style sheet , “fine tuning” what huh and then I don’t see that appear in my css code very confusing - had an H1 wrong color with correct code but the “fine tune” pallet had another color - that took me a while to clear up

Workspace pref for me is visual and code page side by side letter view and all tool on other display - I don’t care for the tree at least for now

Ok now major annoyance disappointment Project Flles Management

Apparently I am NOT able to move files hierarchy around in Project tab .
I had to move them at the MacOS Finder level window and reload project .
Is that normal behavior ?
In past Adobe Golive handled this perfectly and I assume Dreamweaver as well. Intra-application movement of files hierarchy maintained all links.

Upon doing so with just a css file , I moved it to PGpro default css folder and broke link. I forgot how I used PG to fix the link to style sheet as experiment but found it was possible - I think I control click on sheet name and assigned to my target file.
No clue what this default theme.css if for or why it populates ???

No where close to CMS functionality testing yet but that was hugely attractive feature I read about.

Now i will check out some of the videos and see if I can get over the hump here. I really want to like and get rolling with PGpro, but it isn’t going well.
I hope you can take the comments constructively and apply for consideration for modifications. I’ve had “developers myopia” myself lol thx

Pinegrow is a multi-platform application (macOS, Windows, Linux) and for the sake of standardization, the choice is made to offer a “universal” experience rather than adapting the application to the constraints/design guidelines of each operating system.

Pinegrow projects being standard folders, containing standard HTML, CSS, JS etc. files, the manipulation of files, folders etc. is indeed done at the level of the operating system rather than from the Projects tab (which proposes a set of minimal actions like the creation of folders/files). Pinegrow is not intended to be a clone of existing applications, and it is a deliberate technical and functional choice.

Of course, we thank you for your comments, we welcome you aboard and we highly recommend you to take a look at the following documentation to better understand how Pinegrow works: https://pinegrow.com/docs/getting-started/

2 Likes

Ok thanks for the reply.

Pinegrow projects being standard folders, containing standard HTML, CSS, JS etc. files, the manipulation of files, folders etc. is indeed done at the level of the operating system rather than from the Projects tab (which proposes a set of minimal actions like the creation of folders/files). Pinegrow is not intended to be a clone of existing applications, and it is a deliberate technical and functional choice.

Noted and understand current state, thanks.
Just to clarify on site files management in my previous experience the site files management functionality still involved only standard files - no proprietary weird stuff - but allowed reorganization of bigger projects pieces and parts once one realizes they wished they needed to do so as project became monster. Key thing is all relative links to all resource maintained not requiring intra-application link repair activity very cool useful feature wish I could find again. CMS for developer stress relief lol.

Did you know that Pinegrow can automatically fix broken links within a project?
This feature is available in the Project panel. Right click on the file and choose “Fix links”.

Pinegrow will examin the page for broken links and then try to rebuild them by searching the project for the closest file with the same name as the url linked in broken link.

More useful goodies at: pinegrow.com/docs/master-pinegrow/tools-helpers/

1 Like