Register archive for custom taxonomy

When registering a custom taxonomy with the WP Theme Converter, there does not seem to be the option to enable archives, like there is when registering a custom post type.

What’s the best way to enable archives for custom taxonomies created with the Theme Converter?

Hello Chris,
​
Generally speaking, If the option you are looking for is not available from the Pinegrow / Pinegrow Theme Converter UI, you will have to proceed differently (by adding a code snippet in functions.php for example).
​
For example, ​you can use the excellent generator here https://generatewp.com/taxonomy/ to create custom taxonomies with exhaustive configuration settings.
​
However, thanks for your suggestion, the Pinegrow Development team is now informed about your question.

note: please be aware that this is by no means a guarantee of future integration.

Have a very nice day.

You should also have a look at:
https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/template-files-section/taxonomy-templates/

Thanks Emmanual.

I realised in the end that I did not need to register an archive, but rather create the template file:

archive-{taxonomy}.php

In my case, this template file is archive-events.php (my custom post type is named “events”).

On the archive-events.php template, I then attached the Show Posts Smart Action to the appropriate part of the template, and set the Loop type to custom query. I then set the Post type to my custom post type (events).

From there, I converted the Smart Action into regular WordPress settings. I then entered the following settings as the Taxonomy parameters:

custom taxonomy

To summarise:

My custom post type is named events
A custom taxonomy (called “location”) has been registered for the events custom post type.

The above settings ensure that if someone visits /location/{location-name}/ e.g /location/london/, the template only shows events that have had the custom taxonomy of London added to them.

If anyone else has a question around this, feel free to reply.

2 Likes

@pugh would you mind sharing any screenshots of your show posts smart action? I am trying to do somethign similar and cant get is down.

Post type is ‘our_work’
Terms Is ‘work_type’
page is exported as taxonomy-work_type.php
URL for the term would be like ‘/work_type/design/’

In my sow post smart actions I have the following -https://www.screencast.com/t/dhNHkbE9zgtY and my “The Loop” setup the same as yours.

I think I have the right template name, but maybe I just dont.

@465media I have converted my Smart Action into regular WordPress actions. If you do this, it will show the additional options that I have shared in the screenshot above. See if that helps, and if not send over the settings that you have entered and I will have another look.

@pughSo here is my structure https://www.screencast.com/t/8RZeAzBTkw3W

Site Content https://www.screencast.com/t/WvWyluXPgd0
– Show Post Smart Action setting the custom query. https://www.screencast.com/t/dhNHkbE9zgtY
---- The Loop with the query for the taxonomy terms. My Taxonomy parameters https://www.screencast.com/t/L6IYT89mSn

Is the work_type taxonomy registered to the our_work custom post type?

Also notice in my post above I needed to create archive-{taxonomy}.php and not taxonomy-{term}.php

Here are the additional settings from my Loop:

The custom post type it is being used on is events

Capto_Capture 2020-04-13_04-57-58_pm

@pugh
Yes the work_type is registered to the our_work.
image
Interesting thought and I have tried to open a ticket with support.

BlockquoteI register a custom Taxonomy for a CPT, the taxonomy list does not appear on the post edit page 2020-04-08_08-17-57.png like it might on the standard post 2020-04-08_08-18-38.png

Blockquote However it does appear in the quick edit screen on the wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=our_work See screenshot 2020-04-08_08-15-36.png

My template works fine for the archive-our_work.php and as your suggestion I changed this to archive-work_type.php and still no results found. Frustrating.