Remove non-FSE functions from functions.php

Now that I’m using FSE I don’t want the customizer to show in my Admin Area. Usually, it is hidden by default with an FSE theme, but I think add_theme_support( 'custom-logo' ); is causing the customizer to show. And for sure function jr_expert_customize_register( $wp_customize ) { is causing it to show. How can I remove this from functions.php in a way it won’t automatically get added again?

On a similar note, I’m not using the old WP menus. How do I remove the primary and social menus?
register_nav_menus( array( 'primary' => __( 'Primary Menu', 'jr_expert' ), 'social' => __( 'Social Links Menu', 'jr_expert' ), ) );

Thanks!

1 Like

@jonroc I’m glad you asked about this. My FSE project has had similar challenges, although because FSE sucks so much I’ve resigned myself to using the customizer for certain things and making this more of a “hybrid” theme.

Still, the ability to disable some of those default features things in functions.php would be nice.

3 Likes

Ya, I might be forced back into a customizer hybrid theme, but I want to try an ACF options page to fill in the missing places where blocks fall short. I’ve never liked the customizer b/c it was limited to simple text fields. I’m hoping to get all the perks of ACF for the global elements I used to put in the customizer.

ACF Options pages are nice. I’ve used them on a few projects, but I try to stick with the customizer as much as possible since it’s “The WordPress Way.” I get that WP wants FSE to control everything now, but dear god it has a long way to go.

The deeper I get into this FSE project, the jankier I’m finding it to be. Part of that is my own (re)-learning process, but a bigger part is just how half-baked FSE is. The promise of it is great, but the execution so far leaves a lot to be desired. There is a reason it still has that “beta” label!

I come close to throwing this project out the window on a daily basis…

6 Likes

It’s been a battle for me too but I’m seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Another “WordPress Way” to get out from under the customizer is to create your own page settings. This WP Setting Generator worked very nicely for me. To use the values, you can call the ‘get_option()’ function for any of your generated fields. I think this generator actually has more field types than what is available in the customizer which could be useful. I’ll be using this when ACF is not needed for a project.

3 Likes

I freaking love these online generators! Imagine is @matjaz included something like this inside Pinegrow to handle those things that don’t make sense as page elements (hint, hint!)

3 Likes