Stop dropdown menu open when site opens

Ask general questions and share ideas with your peers.

Though the entire Community Forum is moderated and maintained by the Pinegrow Team, it is not guaranteed that your Topic will receive a reply from a Pinegrow Team staff member.

I have a website (Bootstrap 4, Dropdown js) that when I open it, a dropdown menu appears open
what’s happening and how do I stop it happening
don’t seem able to find the answer doing just a quick google search

You will need to provide a live URL so the problem can be seen.

Thanks for responding!

http://russwilson.coffeecup.com/ARCA_MAY_5/index.html

Hi @RustyRiley I’ve just checked it on my computer and phone and it’s not doing what you’ve described. Try clearing your cache and see if it changes the behaviour you’re getting. Let us know how you get on with it.

Thanks for trying

I’m surprised you can try it on your phone at all, because the hamburger menu should immediately appear – with no dropdowns appearing – that’s how it happens on my phone.

Have re-tried immediately after clearing cache – it happens on both Chrome and Ff at least.
And it’s not as if I’m “dreaming” it up – see here

http://forums.mobirise.com/discussion/18051/menu-shows-for-quick-moment-when-page-loads

there’s a lot mobirise can’t do, so I’ve moved on to Pinegrow, and others

thanks anyway, but …

could this be an example of FOUC – or is it just a bug?

Well… on my iPhone, it’s 100% fine. See the video here:

So it’s more a PEBCAC than a FOUC imho :slight_smile: (I’m joking of course)

thanks!!
it doesn’t show up on phones — where the hamburger appears
“automatically”
but it does show up on larger displays where the navbar extends across the full width of the screennew-site-opened
still getting used to this forum’s tools, but if those images have uploaded correctly, you’ll see what I mean
moving from the older pink desktop to the newer green one

maybe that didn’t work too well, can only see one file
here’s the first againstart-old-site

and here’ s the middle oneopening-new-site

those were snips taken from a video – a previous forum I was on only allowed images, not videos

You appear to have the class “.open” applied to that menu item when the page loads. I loaded your live page in Pinegrow and took a look. See the attached screengrab. Your other dropdown menu items do not have this class applied when the page first opens. I’ve circled it in pink.

1 Like

thanks very much for pointing that out!!

that wasn’t “my” intention
that page was developed in a third-party builder program – I had given up on getting a reply to my query, and felt “guilty” for posting it here, since it had been done in that builder

this is actually a bug in that program – if one opens the menu and then leaves after having it open – even if it’s not open when actually exiting, the program, at its own initiative, must create that code
– it’s “well known” that selecting a non-dropdown option results in that effect not appearing

that program is good for “drag-and-down” “design” by computer neophytes, lacking much knowledge of design / html / css etc but …
clearly it has more bugs than most are aware of
== I’ll bring that to the attention of other users of the program, and that program’s support staff

– MANY MANY THANKS :grinning:

You really need a fatter pen!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re right. Dunno why I made it so thin.