*Word Style* Doc to WebSite builder, free for 3 days

Yes, they have a saying about us here, Where I live,

They Have a Bell on Every tooth… as apparently we sound a tad musical when we speak and our intonation goes up and down…

… a little like a dying walrus.

But!

Since we have now moved onto language and dialect, I give you

Vesel Božič

:smiley:

Someone here will know what that means :slight_smile:

and for my lot

Nadolig Llawen

what is it in…er…umm…

Shawangunkian?

man… that sounds like a race in Star Trek, the long lost and slightly less inbred cousins of the Klingons.

I actually live on Long Island in New York, and most of our towns and many of our schools are named after original local indigenous tribes. For example, I went to Secatogue elementary school. I once worked in a town called Copiague. I have clients in Massapequa and Commack. I have an aunt who had a wedding reception at the Narragansett Inn. Towns around me include such places as Wyandanch, Hauppauge, Sachem, Ronkonkoma, Nissequogue, Shinnecock, Aquebogue, Sagaponack, Amagansett, and Montauk - all former indigenous tribes.

1 Like

And, well, the obvious question, from a foreigner … (a bit like like all the non native Americans over there :smiley: )

Since you have these name remnants everywhere, …well, WHERE are these indigenous Natives now?
How local are they to you guys, if they still have any land in that area?
Or totally assimilated/decimated/incarcerated or just plain gone?

And do you know what these place names translate too?

As for Welsh Place names, They are wholly descriptive.
That is some All welsh place names DESCRIBE the place… even the second longest place name in the world.

here we go…

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Check this out.

and a rough translation is

Saint Mary’s Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave.

And if your REALLY unlucky…and your a weatherman…who, er…also appears to be
Slightly less than local

Good luck!

and damn, he did a pretty good job :slight_smile:

Man! I am starting to wonder just which other Wild and Whacky topics we can ram into this Festive Bundle!

That’s only a small smattering. There are well over a dozen more towns that are named after former tribes. As for remnants, only the Shinnecock still have a cultural presence here. They have a small reservation about an hour’s drive from where I live. Aside from the titular reminders (towns, roads, schools, waterways), there are few cultural signs that indigenous tribes ever lived here. We learn about them a bit in grade school, but for the most part, they’ve been wiped from history.

A lot of the tribal names describe the territories upon which the tribes lived. For example, Massapequa meant “great waterland.” Secatogue meant “black” or “dark land.” The entire island was called “Paumanok” which meant “land of tribute.” Clearly the indigenous people had a great deal more respect for Mother Earth than the folks who came after them.

Amen… .

YES FORUM SOFTWARE THIS POST MAY SEEM UNCLEAR> YES IT IS A COMPLETE SENTANCE
Yes it is over 20 characters, now I am a human LET ME BLOODY POST IT>

Got this forum software can be annoying some times