Add using "localhost" as a testing server to accommodate a working preview

@Marf

Not strange at all if someone asks the above question!

When you read all my post you see what I can do with MAMP.

My advice is not to buy it I purchased it my self.

I only explain what you can do with it, what it cost and that I’m using it.

But of course I’m enthousiast about the MAMP app! And I think it is cheap if you consider the possibilities and time it saves you!

I have a Mac and Windows computer my self and still use MAMP Pro, because you can not compare the functionality and possibilities with the local server in the MAC. And MAMP is 10 times easier and faster!

So this is nonsense, because I know exactly what he works with and the difference of working with a professional local server like MAMP or the local sever in the Mac.

Have 20 years of experience with PHP so I know what I’m talking about!

Maybe it’s an idea to read what you can do with MAMP!:
MAMP info about the latest version

@AllMediaLab You mentioned MAMP Pro in every post in this topic, to me It was looking if you where trying to convince Randy also going to use and buy it. Sorry if I misunderstood this!

MAMP provides a local webserver with PHP and Mysql, which Randy already have up and running.
MAMP doesn’t integrate in Pinegrow to provide him a correct “preview url” from Pinegrow.

So MAMP doesn’t provide him more than he already have now (and was looking for)!
That’s why I said:

I have no doubts on your experience and good intentions to help Randy (and others). I only found it a bit too much trying to market and sell the Mamp Pro product. That’s all!

Yes it does! Because of the fact it isn’t integrated in Pinegrow and has it’s own server that shows the direct links in the browser in any way you want including https with a certificate. Only difference is hitting a button on MAMP instead of Pinegrow.

This was the question I answered! Nothing more nothing less!

I was already aware that MAMP provides an easy to click button to launch the url and push it to the browser. But this is not different then clicking a saved bookmark in a browser…??

That’s why I said, he doesn’t need MAMP for this. He can arrange and provide this already easily for himself inside his browser. A simple bookmark, with the correct project url, is made in a few seconds.

Just look in to the browser URL and tell me if you see the difference between Pinegrow and MAMP!
And if I want I can change the name of the URL in my Multiple hosts, add SSL and change the server name. This is how I use it now, but all can be changed. Then you don’t need any bookmarks because it works out of the box.

I understand where you referring to, but Randy doesn’t use or need these advanced and extra features. It’s nice that you use multiple local hostnames (which I also use) and local SSL. And that MAMP can offer this for you. And you keep coming with mentioning features why MAMP is such a great product for you.

But not needed for Randy. Your perspective and needed stuff is different than what Randy needs. He is using only localhost with subdirectories for his projects. He doesn’t need multiple hosts etc… He is also hosting his sites/projects under his own domain (one domain).

So his project structure is simple which is more than enough for him.

• localhost/projectname1/
  • localhost/projectname2/
  • localhost/projectname3/

We, you and me, are advanced users and need more and different features. Randy is a different type of user, no offence to Randy, but he is playing in a different category than we do. Which is fine, and it’s always great to see what he is building, and the new things he is learning and put in his projects. You need to keep that in mind.That means he need less advanced features. And it’s not a battle between you and me explaining and pointing out features to each other we both understand and are aware of. But helping Randy to find a “simple” solution to help him further. And I leave out in my comments the things he is not going to use or need! To make it less complicated for him than necessary.

@Marf, @RobM, @Robert, @droidgoo, @schpengle, @AllMediaLab
Wow guys… didn’t mean to start a range war - just wanted to know if there was a way to get PineGrow to recognize and use a user-selected server rather than PG’s built-in. Anyone know what hoops and hurdles the PG folks would have to go through to add this as an elective feature in PG?

Nothing wrong with a good discussion!
No matter if we agree or disagree on things.

Hopefully David @AllMediaLab is not angry or irritated, I have nothing against him! We can have different opinions or a different view on things, which is ok and normal in life.

In the end, I think, we have the same intentions and motivation, trying to be helpful. I respect him (and all other active users here on the forum), and am grateful for his time and effort he is contributing to the forum with his help and suggestions he is giving to help people and ideas for making the Pinegrow product(s) better.

Of course not! :wink:

And

Sorry about wasting your time, maybe rephrase your question next time because it appears as though you dont understand, by changing ports/web severs, and expecting a different server other than PGs built in, internal server to carry on with a completely fresh
query to it and make this a feature request instead

Glad to hear everyone here is more interested in being helpful than opinionated. So may I continue this thread… ?

I use PHP/MySQL server behaviors almost exclusively to address information collection, storage and distribution needs for my websites. What does everyone think the future looks like for the continuance and longevity of this PHP/MySQL server tech? What other data collection server tech is recommended (to learn and employ) that is better and more efficient?

Local by Flywheel, so easy however it uses nginx be deafult. I don’t know if their ‘professional’ version lets you choose between apache and nginx. You can run as many websites together locally at the same time as you have resources for. Works on macOS.

the MySQLi moving to object oriented, and PHP keeping up with the trends… i don’t see any reason why they won’t be around for the long term.

Was this issue ever resolved - I use an iMac with its own webserver (no need for MAMP on a Mac)
I map localhost to a folder called “Websites” and each project has its own folder within.
This works perfectly with both PHP mySQL
When using PG I have to have a browser open to see the website I’m developing and refresh the page after every save,

1. Is there a reason PG can’t use the Mac localhost
  2. When clicking the “Preview Page in Browser” button - could this be mapped to PC localhost?
    For PHP & MySQL developers this shortcoming ruins what is an excellent product.

No it’s not solved!

When you open your project from your Mac local server with Pinegrow and keep your browser connected (not from Pinegrow but from your local server) you will be able to look at the browser as quick as clicking on the eye from Pinegrow! Just keep the browser connected and if there is a problem with refreshing the browser try something like this:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/page-refresh/hmooaemjmediafeacjplpbpenjnpcneg?hl=en

You say no need for MAMP on Mac well it would make your life a lot easier:

• The button you are looking for to click on to open any browser that you can have next to Pinegrow of course MAMP pro can be made smaller in the “narrow mode” what you see on the image is the “full size mode”
  • Every version of PHP
  • Unlimited websites on the server with a beautiful interface
  • SSL security in a website for testing with one click
  • Choice of all browsers to open your website with
  • Install Extras like, Joomla , Drupal , WordPress , etc. with a few clicks.
  • Move Joomla , Drupal , WordPress to the life server or download copy it from the server for
    migration or/and development.
  • Testing a form and receiving the mail in your email client
  • MySQL
  • Code editor
  • Responsive devices tester

Mamp Pro makes your Mac local server Cry like a little baby :wink:

@mxs - I use the same workflow with my Macbook running its own server environment of Apache, MySQL and PHP. I use Navicat to manage MySQL (WORKS GREAT) and am not using MAMP or XAMP. Having no problems (other than having to manually edit the URL to preview php/mysql pages in localhost).

This is fairly simple stuff randyrie and I’m sure it was an oversight by the developers in the initial development of Pinegrow. Now we have to live with it I suppose.
I can’t recall if Windows PCs have Apache.
Pinegrow is a super product just a shame you can’t map the server to your own localhost or MAMP for that matter.
As I cry like a baby, I thank you for your contribution

Hey @mxs,
It wasn’t an oversight by the developers of Pinegrow. PG runs as a web app on the Chromium engine- all client based, and basically is like running JavaScript on your browser. PHP on the other hand is server-side. There is no easy communication between JavaScript and PHP so it actually is a non-trivial problem. I’ll see if I can scheme a solution however.
Bob

If my understanding about the initial need is correct, may I advise you to have a look at the open source Browsersync application which is the perfect companion app for Pinegrow?

It’s available for free for macOS, PC, Linux and it does many more things on top of what you are currently looking for.

You can use it with ANY webserver as a proxy and monitor the source files at the same time.
Here is a quick demo I just did. (don’t pay attention to the ugly content > I’m currently testing things :))

Here is my command line:

browser-sync start --proxy "pgwpthemebuilder.local" --files "/Users/earnoud/Local Sites/pg-wp-theme-builder-wp-5-5-3/app/public/wp-content/themes/images/**/*"

1. pgwpthemebuilder.local is my local web server
  2. /Users/earnoud/Local Sites/pg-wp-theme-builder-wp-5-5-3/app/public/wp-content/themes/images/ is the path to my current WordPress theme files (the files which are exported by PG every time I hit save)

Note: Pinegrow internal web server offers very basic features for static web dev.
If you develop sites using PHP and more, you should consider MAMP, WAMP, Local.app, installing PHP on the default webserver of your operating system and more.

Ps: In 2017, I published my workflow on our previous documentation site and Browsersync was already part of it :slight_smile:http://docsbeta.pinegrow.com/designer-feedback-working-pinegrow-external-applications/

4 Likes

So, @mxs @randyrie @Robert @droidgoo @Marf have you tested Browsersync yet?
Does it fit well with your expectations?