Call for suggestions for our next WordPress tutorials

Hello,

• You use Pinegrow to create WordPress themes and despite your best efforts, you sometimes stumble upon specific situations?

• You want to create a WordPress theme but you don’t know how to integrate a feature that’s a bit complex but essential to your project?

• You have a specific idea for a tutorial you’d like us to provide?

Then don’t hesitate, and add your idea / use case - with as many details as possible - to the following post.

In the coming weeks/months we’ll be adding more tutorials and your input on what you need is very appreciated.

We’re looking forward to your proposals

The Pinegrow team.

Important: This topic is reserved for tutorial proposals only, not for discussion or comments. Messages that are not concrete proposals will be removed.

1 Like
  • How to use the template hierarchy for custom post types and custom taxonomies. (I sent an email request about this and have not heard back) archive.php, archive-{post_type}.php, etc.
  • The use to index.php vs front-page.php and home.php and different use cases
  • single.php, page,php and singular.php and there use cases.
  • Basic Woocmmerce setup for shop.php and product.php.
  • Setting up a search.php template for the search loop.
  • Not specif to WordPress but how to handle mobile menu break points.
  • Not WordPress specific but how to set up a stick head menu. using different size containers and even logos.

There is more, but just some first ones that come to mind. Thanks.

5 Likes
  • How to style widgets in wordpress such as categories , tag cloud , search and recent posts.

• How to make and style sub menus or mega menus in wordpress , now i have to manual past code to the function.php (Will add the code in the end)

• How to add customizer to page templates such as a contact page

I got some more things but i can’t remember atm so i will update when i do.

This is the code i use for my menus in wordpress :

function new_submenu_class($menu) {
$menu = preg_replace(’/ class=“sub-menu”/’,’/ class=“dropdown-menu” /’,$menu);
return $menu;
}

add_filter(‘wp_nav_menu’,‘new_submenu_class’);

3 Likes

Agree, specifically with the WP page usage, single.php, page,php and singular.php as well as index.php vs front-page.php and home.php.
A tutorial on building a simple business website, maybe including a home, about, and contact page, versus just a blog as they are very different in concept.

4 Likes

Creating a single product page would be a useful tutorial, currently 99% of Woocommerce product pages look just about the same, to be able to easily create a different layout would make sites stand out.

Another suggestion is the checkout page - currently there are plugins like Aero Checkout that help you modify the base checkout template, to be fully able to move every section on the checkout page would be great

2 Likes
  • A navigation menu where one of the items is a drop down that lists, say, the 5 most recent posts of a particular category
  • How to make a list of posts of a particular category, e.g. using the category of the single displayed post on the page
  • More use cases for using custom php code.
3 Likes

Add ACF Repeater to Show Post - Smart — Loop type.
Add ACF Option filed to all ACF tool.

3 Likes

SEO is something I avoid like the plague. Mainly because it is Hoodoo/Voodoo to me.
So, how, what and where to properly prepare a WP theme for SEO from the start. “Properly”, as in “Where it really matters, and is going to make a difference”. No stupid SEO plugins with a magic green push button, please.

2 Likes

Please could you have a tutorial on how to implement ajax or pjax with the wordpress theme, so the page doesn’t have to fully load each time. So the page becomes a lot faster to load.

2 Likes
  • How to create a custom navwalker for WP menus (beyond the BootStrap and Automatic Navwalker’s abilities)
2 Likes

Really nice Idea Emmanuel !

I would personally love to see (in order of preference) :

1. A concrete workflow of maintaining a theme. I mean : after uploading it, the site is live and, the content edited (mostly via ACF & customizer) and then we need to add new template or modify some… How can we pull the data from the live site back to our Pinegrow project ? Etc… Maybe with git and / or a database sync plugin like WP Migrate-db-pro ? The point is to clearly see the process between local editing in PG + Local by Flywheel AND the live website ?
  2. How to deal with shortcodes from other plugins (for exemple FluentForms, or others…)
  3. Making a complete custom WooCommerce theme (with archive + single + cart, use of filter & hooks).

Bonus : video of the ACF Gutenberg block creation (with dynamic content).
I cannot wait to see the result !

Other note : I am personally not interested at all about css framework integration in wordpress. As a WordPress freelancer, I go to Pinegrow for a zero bloat & 100% control results. I think that Flexboxes & CSS grid is all we really need now. If I want to use already styled elements (and to have bloat), I would have chosen Elementor…

4 Likes

I just though about a nice use case of Pinegrow : designing the layouts of FacetWP ! https://facetwp.com/documentation/templates/advanced-mode/

It can be super interesting for creating WooCommerce templates… or any other faceted search templates !

1 Like

I would love to see a full wordpress tutorials with Gutenberg in mind, how to create blocks so the user can use the template as he want. Started with CSS Grid for all the Layouts.

I prefer Pinegrow + Code standard with no framework.

2 Likes

I would like a guide about creating Gutenberg blogs. Right now I use Pinegrow + ACF, and that works okay, but the ACF blocks dosent work quite like Gutenberg Blocks, so native Gutenberg block creation would be extremely powerfull

A full guide on how to create a WooCommerce template would also be great.

On a side note:
I have both the Pinegrow editor and the standalone theme converter, and I tend to use the theme converter more. I dont really care about frameworks, if I wanted bloat I could just use one of the WordPress pagebuilders. But the power of Pinegrow is that you can easily create lean and fast templates :slight_smile:

A series of step by step tutorial on building a (basic) site including a blog section. From 0 to 10. From very basic things to more complex ones. More or less like what you did with the css grid summer nights video tuts. Mocking the development of an entire project.
Thanks

Using WooCommerce Hooks :nerd_face:

1 Like

Using SVG as UI Design (

Styling

as an alternative to CSS Themes :thinking:

for custom Site/Wordpress/WooCommerce, UX) :nerd_face:

I agree, sooner than later I’d like to drop Bootstrap, but for now I don’t have the time to create a “base.scss” set which would cover the majority us cases on how I use Bootstrap (primarily for columns and screen responsiveness). Also, the Bootstrap addon plugin in the properties panel is vary useful for quick little changes and I don’t have the time to make a custom plugin for PG to replace that either (but I wish I did).