Can't edit editable inside a component

I’ve created a component with an editable within it:

Definition:

<h3 class="title" data-pgc-edit="demo.service-title" data-pgc-edit-types="demo.service">Web Design</h3>

Instance:

<h3 class="title" data-pgc-field="demo.service-title">Web Designing</h3>

If I try to click the “Edit Text” icon it tells me

"The element can’t be changed because it is defined in component “Service”. The following parts of demo.service-title are editable:

• Component instances of Service can be added and deleted from the content"

I should be able to edit it. Also, if I go back to the definition of the component and change the title there it does not change the title in the instances of the component I placed in a separate page…which seems correct if the Title is editable. So, something’s working right…and something’s working wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

If I try to click the “Edit Text” icon it tells me

"The element can’t be changed because it is defined in component “Service”. The following parts of demo.service-title are editable:

• Component instances of Service can be added and deleted from the content"

I should be able to edit it. Also, if I go back to the definition of the component and change the title there it does not change the title in the instances of the component I placed in a separate page…which seems correct if the Title is editable. So, something’s working right…and something’s working wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

I found the problem. When I’d created the Editable area for the H3, I’d set the Component field to the parent component name. Apparently, I had to leave that blank.

2 Likes

i’ve only dipped a toe into the “editable” features of PG, but one thing i’ve noted so far is using the “optional” feature seems to be the sweet spot between being able to customize and also being able to reset en mass should you need to fix something.

if you just leave it as editable, then making changes to the master will not propagate and you will need to go to each instance and repeat the edit.

with optional, you can force a reset to update all the instances if need be… but then your customization edits are lost, so there’s that.

it seems like a difficult line to draw and not be wrong at some point.