How does one handle blogging or RSS feeds on static sites?

I know I should have a Medium / Blogger account or a WP site if I want to blog but I hate to split my static site up.
How do others in the same boat deal with it?
Am I missing some blogging feature in Pinegrow?

Pinegrow has no built-in blogging features for static sites. A blog requires a database. If I was in your shoes, I’d use a free CMS with a blogging platform (like https://b2evolution.net/) and style the header and footer to look like my static site, and then just put it in a subdirectory.

Alternately, you could embed a Blogger or Medium site in an iframe (yech!)

1 Like

well You could use a database free version too.
A flat file system.
might be more up your street.
:slight_smile:

check out HTMLy
Where you will see this listed amongst its many shiny things.

2019-02-23_23-09-09

Thanks for the info.
Ive never heard of B2. will give it a good staring at…

Yes, sorry for not thanking you. I’ve added it to my streaming to
do list.

I have a BUNCH of holdouts that don’t want to update their sites. Therefore I have a bunch of static sites that have added wordpress blogs. I simply make a folder in the site directory called blog dump the installer there and install the wordpress, change the css in WP and link it all in the menus.

Here’s an example, one of my first pinegrow sites:
winegarten.com
static site with wordpress blog installed in blog directory.

Unfortunately Debra passed from cancer so I’m not sure how long the site will remain.

Since I clearly need to keep informed about WP for my own clients, it may prove to be beneficial to do as you have by strapping on a blog that way.

I know you just tossed out the suggestion but I do feel I might need a little more hand-holding if I run into any issues.

Sorry to hear you lost such a dedicated historian as a client. I just watched the documentary last night about director Steven Spielberg and learned that he has a foundation to record such things if they relate to genocides at all.

https://sfi.usc.edu/vha/collecting

They might just be willing to carry her torch if the heirs made an application and the material was applicable.

Regardless, I wish them the best.

I also found this info for fellow “hold outs”.

Interesting…and isn’t that what Pinegrow should be able to do too?

Maybe an article on converting an already existing static html website to a Wordpress one, would be a good thing to have in our article section.

Although, personally< I’d rather go the the other way.

I’m sure that some fine mix must exist somewhere, but it all boils down to client preferences.

They will forever want total control over creating an imperfect pile of crap that keeps you up at night wondering if the site is even online after their “fixes” so that it can present a bastardized view of your artistic talents.

Expect no appreciation.

Do the best you can for the best money you can get and when they inevitably divorce you and take custody of your your once beautiful child, give no thought to its fate.

1 Like

Pre Nup?

:slight_smile:
and some other characters to make 20…

I don’t like Wordpress. For starters, it’s slow. It seems like every Wordpress site seems to take 3-4 seconds to open, which in 2019 on the web is an eternity (at least in the U.S.)

It’s bloated. The plug-in model is, to me, nightmarish. The interface is constantly hammering you to install “this plug-in” or "that plug-in. A plug-in for speed. A plug-in for SEO? Seriously. Just do the SEO on the pages. And ANYTHING you install means you get spammed with emails for weeks. Not cool. :angry:

I can see using it for blogging, because you for that you need a database, but for a basic site it doesn’t make any sense to me. I tried using it to build an e-commerce site with WooCommerce but eventually gave up and went to Volusion. To do anything decent with WooCommerce, you have to spend money on… you guessed it, PLUG-INS.

Fortunately, the kind of clients I get rarely need the perks of a dynamic site, but if they did, I’d probably look into something other than Wordpress… B2Evolution, Joomla…

Agree, WordPress is slow and the basic barbone woocommerce plugin is just horrible unusable. To get something decent you need to install some 10+ woo plug ins and some other Wp for security etc etc… I am starting to use shopify for ecommerce.
It would be awesome if pg could facilitate the integration of a open source flat file cms like grav.
I have clients that needs very basic cms and creating a theme for Wp is just too bloated for the purpose.
https://sitecake.com/ have you ever heard of this one here?

No, never heard of that. I abhor CMS systems that allow clients to mess with the websites, and I don’t offer it as an option to my clients. If they want updates, they have to go through me, or take over the site themselves. But my business model includes monthly maintenance and updates, so I really have never had a request for a CMS.

3 Likes