How to install Pinegrow 5.x on Linux Mint 19.x

So, this don’t install on Linux Mint 19.1

I followed many tutorials, not even Pinegrows info is right.

I decided to search for an older archived version and found PineGrow [2.951]
Unzipped it. Double clicked the “Pinegrow Web Designer” icon, then it ran up straight away.

Has Pinegrow took steps back?

As no matter what I try, I can not get this new version to install on Linux Mint.

So, I have given up and will NOT be purchasing it.

Hi @PineCrap

Please, have a look at our system requirements:

And our how-to install Pinegrow on Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 LTS (Pinegrow 4 and <) and Ubuntu Desktop 18.04 LTS (Pinegrow 5 and >):

Best regards.

Open terminal and drag & drop PinegrowLibrary file from the Pinegrow folder you’ve downloaded and press enter

Thanks, as stated.
I followed those instructions. (Pinegrows own install instructions).
They don’t work.

Best Regards.

@zedbuza

When I drag and drop into the terminal, it states is “Unknown File Type, choose a program”.

I then clicked enter again in the Terminal and it run up, started, seemingly ok.

Yet, with the following message in Terminal:
‘/home/****/Desktop/PinegrowLinux64.5.6/PinegrowLibrary’
[3581:3581:0726/190008.821733:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(353)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.

Yet, strangely enough, it run up.

So, thank you ever so much.
I am just hoping it runs ok as it came up with the error. Yet, maybe it is trying to run twice.

Thank you ever so much. I am going to give it a good whirl and hopefully it runs ok.
As I would love to purchase this and use it.

Thanks again.

Pinegrow seriously needs to compile a package installer of some type for Linux.
Or something of the likes, maybe a sudo apt-get or something.

Thanks again all who helped and much appreciation.

this error type message is there just because Pinegrow is not installed but you run it thru terminal. but don’t worry, every setting in preserved even when you update Pinegrow to newer version so you can enjoy a great program.

Been there. With v5.5 I researched various forum posts and I think I have all the pieces to make the desktop integration with Ubuntu variants to work. I just had success installing v5.7. Please reply with any corrections.

Installing Pinegrow 5.x on ElementaryOS (Linux)

Introduction

The official instructions don’t work for me (and I’ve tried on Ubuntu Gnome 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, and Elementary OS twice). If you’re in the same boat, this method has worked twice for me.

Note: The target system for this installation is running Elementary OS v5 Juno. It’s heritage is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS/debian, the Linux kernel is 4.15.0-55-generic and it uses GTK+ 3.22.30. They should work for similar systems.

These instructions are written by a Linux hobbyist so follow them with care. They are offered that others may benefit but are without warranty. Implement them at your own risk.

Desktop integration in Linux has three components:

• The application files.
  • A desktop file (applicationName.desktop) that lists the application name, executable, icon, and options.
  • An icon file.
  1. Installing the Application Files

a. Download the current version from the Download Pinegrow page. For this installation it is PinegrowLinux64.5.7.zip.

b. Right-click on the Files icon in the Plank (the eOS Dock) and open a New Window as Administrator.

c. Select the opt folder in the file browser.

d. Create a new pinegrow folder and then a version number folder inside there to hold the application files. In this installation, it is opt/ pinegrow/ 5.7.

e. Extract the files from the downloaded archive to the Pinegrow folder.

2. Create the Desktop File

a. In the file browser, navigate to the /usr/share/applications folder.

b. Right-click anywhere in the folder and select New> and Empty file. Name the file “Pinegrow5.7.desktop”.

c. Enter the following text then save and close the file.
    `[Desktop Entry]’

‘Name=Pinegrow’
    ‘Exec=sh -c “/opt/pinegrow/5.7/PinegrowLibrary”’
    ‘Terminal=false’
    ‘Icon=/usr/share/icons/pinegrow/pinegrow57_icon.png’
    'Type=Application`

Note: With the desktop file in the correct folder, your Linux system will integrate the application into the menus and application launchers.

1. Create an icon file.

Note: This step describes how I did it to get this image.
pinegrowIcon-57-260x267

a. In a web browser, navigate to the  pinegrow.com/support page, right-click on the Pinegrow icon in the upper left, and select **View image**. 

Note: This file is actually a vector illustration. I couldn’t save it straight off of the web page.

b. Set the browser to display in full screen and zoom in until the pinecone part of the icon is as large as possible without becoming fuzzy. 

c. Open a screenshot application and capture the pinecone part of the logo. 

*  **If you have the option,** save the screenshot to the Clipboard.
*  **If you don’t have that option,** save the screenshot to your workstation.

d. Open the image in the image editor of your choice (Krita is highly recommended), create a new image from the clipboard, and crop the image so only the logo remains.

e. If you will be running multiple versions, add the version number over the top of the pinecone logo. In this instance “5.7.”

f. Save the file as a Krita native file for use with future versions.

g. Export the file as a PNG (pronounced "ping") to **pinegrow57_icon.png**.

h. In the file browser window that you opened as an administrator:
       i. Copy the PNG file.
      ii. Browse to the to the **/usr/share/icons** folder.
     iii. Create a pinegrow folder
     iv. Paste a copy of the icon file into the folder.
  1. Run Pinegrow

a. Hold the Super (Windows) key and tap the space bar.

b. Start typing “Pinegrow.”

c. When the name of the application name is listed, stop typing.

• If the desired version of the application is listed first, type Enter.
    • If the desired version of the application is further down the list, use the down arrow to highlight it and type Enter.

That’s it!