Pinegrow using discouraged self-closing tag syntax

According to W3 Validator, self-closing tag syntax in text/html documents is widely discouraged.

So the correct format is:

<meta charset="utf-8">

Not
<meta charset="utf-8"/>

and
<link rel="stylesheet" href="blocks.css">

Not
<link rel="stylesheet" href="blocks.css"/>

How do I set this as the default format in Pinegrow?

If I make edits outside Pinegrow (ie BBedit) Pinegrow changes them back to the discouraged format.

Hi !

Same problem with other tags such as “img” or “br” line breaks, it is true that by default in pinegrow, the tag closes in “/>” format and not “>” according to the new recommendations of the W3C (September, 21), it’s very recent and it’s moreover quite disputed in the community because the format “/>” is more readable in the code especially for the novices, finally this is what emerges from it.

1 Like

That would explain it. Hadn’t realised the change until I ran my site through the W3 Validator.

I’m assuming it’s not going to break anything browser wise for the foreseeable future?

1 Like

Good evening, to answer your questions, this is only my opinion, the W3C tool indicates that “/>” is not an error in itself, it’s a possible bad interaction with attribute values without quotes in the tag. In fact we have no choice, when opening a page with Pinegrow, the “/>” choice is imposed in the HTML code. I don’t know if the Pinegrow team will come up with a solution to have a choice between with “/>” and without. In any case, I don’t think you have any impact in the execution of the pages in the browser or bad results as speed, SEO etc.

1 Like