Web Design on a budget

There was no insult .
If you cant understand the principle that
HARDWARE…limits software, what more can I add to explain it to you?

MY OPERATING SYSTEM is limited by MY HARDWARE>
My Software is Limited by my OS (and choice thereof)

This is all limited by a budget.

The Main productive purpose of my computer SHOULD be for web design.

I cannot upgrade the Mac -NORMALLY.
I can therefore NOT upgrade to newer Browsers,
IE , on my PowerPC Mac I have just update it to the last browser it can run.
this is TenFourFox - Doesn’t support grid
and likewise on windows (Xp)
Firefox 52.9.0 -doesnt support grid.

this CANNOT render grid display etc.
so while I can write CODE on it, I cannot render it.
it ALSO cannot run ANY Pinegrow version , so I have to use other software.

But if they are connected to a LAN with ONE newer machine, then THAT can run a browser to view the files (with grid) correctly.
So, if running a web design shop or charity , on a budget, you could do this in order to carry on, with various old hardware running Web Design packages and running local web servers, or connecting to one, for ONE machine to view correctly.
Thereby carrying on web design on a budget :slight_smile:

This is just ONE Example and, therefore, if this thread Is NOT relevant to you,
Im not insulting you, but if its NOT relevant to you
WHY Did you feel the need to reply and go on about Spyware that YOU wouldn’t install etc etc? You mentioned nothing about the topic.
Although I do get your point about dodgy software, ie MacKeepers, sweepers and such crud.

Now THAT is not relevant to the thread.
NOTHING you said is relevant to web developing on a budget.

If your limited by finances, you CANT afford NEW hardware,
NEW software, but BOTH evolve, HOW do you OTHER PEOPLE.
manage if you want to keep on Web Design… on … a budget.
And then I started the ball rolling.

Sorry Wrong.
Hardware DOES have a an influence on Web Design in Many ways.

PINEGROW does NOT run on SNOW LEOPARD.
that was My main OS …until Pinegrow 3 came out.
I could no longer run It! -I was forced to update my OS JUST to run Pinegrow (for web design)

Then I could upgrade normally. Now I CAN’T

I had a world of pain, just in order to do THAT.
I had to upgrade the OS , (much of which was Legacy, ie , written for PowerPC but run on Snow Leopard in Legacy mode, Via Rosetta Stone - no longer possible on the next OS, all that software, would be GONE)

I am on a ridiculously low budget by western standards, and cannot afford new hardware and am using as much freely available software as possible , for WEB DESIGN as I am ON a BUDGET and cannot buy a new machine, in order to get the latest OS’ and update. I am now 3 Newer OS’ away from the last one I am OFFICIALLY allowed to run by Apples Artificial HARDWARE constraints!

Just so that I can continue WEB DESIGN…on this HARDWARE. .

My Mac Operating system is now HACKED.
using an Installer from

http://dosdude1.com

as I am not able to to install the latest NORMALLY due to Apple designating my machine obsolete - hence using the crap spyware that also uses this label to prove a point in question.

My HARDWARE limited me to El Capitan. -due to APPLES - 7 Year Obsolete rule! which is crap as I CAN install later OS’ -(using the above hacked OS Installers )and continue web design.
On a budget…

BUT using the Hacked installer, I have and am still running

Sierra,
High Sierra
and its now on Mojave - which I haven’t done yet.

So if I wasn’t doing this, this means, no security updates, NO updated Browsers safari comes with the OS - cant upgrade it etc etc etc.

This is all just to run Pinegrow and Safari 12 …and Slack…(which does the same crap and blocks me from connecting via older OS’s and Browsers _ I posted about that on the slack community.)

This stuff is Software…

I could go on, but I wanted OTHER people to go on with RELEVANT content to the topic. so we can share ideas.

This has started with, but is not limited to, Apple OS, and hardware and software.

I also run Linux Sporadically. Again, I have Ubuntu - dual core machine - Pinegrow runs like treacle on that and crashes.
I also have Lubuntu. Older hardware, single core, simpler GUI, seems to fly! wow. Will get Pinegrow on that (as its a budget machine) and have to work out the how to make a launcher that …works.

I posted about that here:

And been hunting down OLDER BUT still updateable browsers for windows XP - again, the installer is broken, so I worked out a fix for that, see here

Lunascape 6 Web browser…ever heard of it?
I Know I hadn’t.
But…fixing up a BUDGET WEB DESIGN machine on a seriously outdated machine forced me to hunt it down. -and create a fix for its installer.

So that stuff is kind of more the Software side of it.
I was going to link them together and collect the stuff here on
the on a budget/old software/hardware topic.

So yes , this forum is public, Im fully aware fo that ,I wanted Public members to post! im a Regular member who helps as many as I can on here.

You might want to re read what you posted above and explain just what THAT has to do with the topic title.

Like you say

I hope that now, maybe you do. if the topic is not relevant to you then walk on by.
I post mostly in the beginners sections, as those things can be relevant to me.
I rarely post on Wordpress or advanced things as they are beyond my skillset, I leave that stuff to people who find it RELEVANT.

So, the topic title stays, you may want to remove your irrelevant post about click bait and Phishing as that is totally off topic, and adds nothing constructive to the topic title.

if you DO have anything relevant, ie software workarounds, using a network with some other devices to view/develop on, fire away or how to work around stuff , fire away! :). Is there any older software or hardware that YOU have that you can STILL update, or modify or hack in order to carry on web development - on a budget! ?

Until then, I will wait to see if anyone ELSE has any relevant input on this subject and we can both go about our respective days.

If you don’t like my hopefully humorous ways of posting, that’s Ok I get that.
Your as free to ignore my stuff on a public forum as you are to write, reply, create posts etc. I find some good stuff in your posts and sometimes reply.

I also find quite a bit I don’t understand/are beyond my current skillset/Aren’t relevant - so I don’t post replies to them.

N.B just so you know, if your not an Apple User,
Etre Check is used by the Senior Apple Forum members and tech support to assist others.

ie
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7203096

So, again, maybe check the relevance of that out before you label something your not familiar with as click bait fishing scam stuff.

Here you go, here is a pretty recent bit of feedback on another well known (Public) forum -replying to some other similar safety questions About EtreCheck.
but that too got derailed, then locked down.

Its ok for stuff to not be relevant and let it pass by I do it all the time on here with the advanced stuff. But there are loads of angles on this, ie how NGO’s and NPO’s do it, funky software.
My initial post was about the hardware limiting the software. And then throw the floor open to ideas.

All mine is classed as obsolete so is worthless to a web developer but to me its my ONLY choice - as I’m on a budget so am employing a pile of hacks and workarounds.

It was meant to be phrased in a humorous way since, if your this far down the food chain, then its often only the humour that keeps you going.

ok

SO WHO is web designing on a budget? what constraints do you face, or/have found workarounds to carry on successfully?