FSE themes, where does pinegrow stand?

So i thought i saw somewhere where you said we were going to do it all the long way but then at the end we were going to do it another easier way… but i cant seem to find the end with the easier way. Are our only options for creating a FSE right now to built it out from scratch like this? I understand the ideas behind the json file and saving the edits back to PG etc… but I am wondering if there is a faster less tedious way to get started with a FSE theme than creating it from scratch. Or is there a theme with all the json items already enabled etc. I dont mind making the Theme Template Pages etc… but I would like to just install a blank fse theme that had the settings already on there. LIke for padding, and other advanced items in teh json file.

The long way / easy way thing was about a particular topic, if I remember correctly. Maybe it was about exporting the finished theme.

As for block themes, the easiest way to go is to take a premade block theme and modify it to your liking. The twenty twenty four theme is actually a great starting point. There are also others, like Ollie, Spectra, and I think Greenshift just released one.

In the end, though, the block theme process is still a bit convoluted compared to classic themes. I still use them wherever I can since they are the direction WP is headed, but I can’t say I enjoy the process.

Hey I just finished your building a block theme for the third time and this time I followed along (for the most part,lol). Now I am using the Create Block Them Plutin, and I see there is a feature to clone the existing twenty twenty four theme. This seems like it would be a great starting point. Then I can continue to add additional features like json css etc… Was that feature there before is that new? Huge time saver with all the theme templates etc.

Mmmm not in Pinegrow for sure.

But are you perhaps referring to the “Create Block Theme” plugin?

Hey Emmanuel, yes that is what I was referring. I just used it to create my theme!

As @Emmanuel said, Pinegrow doesn’t do anything to facilitate creating block themes. The theme.json piece that’s in place is more to support classic themes that use the block editor for content editing.

The bigger question is, why are you copying the t24 theme instead of making a child theme? WordPress themes get updated quite often, sometimes for security issues and sometimes because things are broken. By copying the theme, you won’t be able to use any of those updates. Creating a child theme lets you override the things you want to override and keep the rest.

1 Like