HTML editing issues

mxs, would adding Visual Studio Code or Atom not solve that problem?

Yes I have tried and use VS Studio but that has saving issues but I understand that is being addressed. It canā€™t be rocket science to integrate a decent editor.

I want to buy Pinegrow, at least the Standard version to get going, but I absolutely want to use Visual Studio Code with it. Iā€™ll be monitoring to see if that issue gets resolved.

Wow! Glad I stumbled onto this thread. Now I realize why Iā€™m having so much difficulty getting my HTML to display and behave as expected. Direct drops of HTML code sections into PineGrow results in weird re-arrangements of sections, and additions of code elements. For years I have been hand- coding HTML5 sites in Microsoft Expression Web. I was hoping PineGrow would allow me to more easily integrate responsive elements into the process, but if I canā€™t get HTML code to respond properly in PG, itā€™s not going to be useful at all. Having to use an external HTML editor side-by-side with PG doesnā€™t streamline anything. Especially if, when I drop the code into PG it ends up being corrupted. Might as well keep slogging along with MS Expression web and W3 CSS. Iā€™ve invested many hours in learning PG. Disappointing!

To be honest, Iā€™m only using Pinegrow for some prototyping, animations or email editing, but to create a website with it is just to much work for me. A simple text editor works 5x faster.

Are you sure you donā€™t have HTML formatting activated in the preferences? Does it happen on save or when you drop the code?

Whatever the situation, I guess this the best/simplest way to ā€œvisuallyā€ add code snippets to your documents is the one shown in the following video:

Note: This is the solution we recommend in our documentation https://pinegrow.com/docs/master-pinegrow/the-library-panel/#inserting-code

The external code editor is obviously another cool solution :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use VS along with Pinegrow and it works fine. I donā€™t get corrupted code or anything like that. I think having the possibility to have industry standard Visual Studio Code to work with PG is great thing.
Cheers

Emmanuel, thanks for the links. I have spent several weeks attempting to learn PG, and have spent many hours with the PG video library. We often make assumptions that donā€™t serve us well. I assumed I knew the basics of the library panel, and therefore skipped that video. Big mistake! There was a load of critical info there that was very enlightening. Software as complex as PG can be a double-edged sword. PG is extremely capable and flexible, (and quite obviously a labor-of-love) but the downside is that, because of itā€™s capability it can be very difficult and time-consuming to master. This is especially true for web builders like myself - not really professional - I canā€™t code anything except HTML - but I have nonetheless been building and maintaining a small number of web sites for decades, some of them quite large (see www.charlottejackson.com - hand-coded with HTML5 and W3 CSS) starting with Microsoft FrontPage. Google has forced me to enter the world of responsive, mobile-first coding. I purchased PG in an attempt to pull myself and my limited abilities, into this new world, and move me up from the very aged (but still very capable) Microsoft Expression web. I am not giving up on PG yet. Itā€™s likely that my code issues are my fault in some way, and hopefully, as I gain more understanding of PG, I will be able to diagnose my own problems.

1 Like