LaunchProcess: failed to execvp

Hello,

just downloaded latest Pinegrow in order to try TailwindCSS add-on on my Fedora-32 desktop, but get the following:

$  ./PinegrowLibrary 
LaunchProcess: failed to execvp:
/home/gour/opt/pinegrow/nacl_helper
[44670:44670:0708/144845.737132:ERROR:nacl_fork_delegate_linux.cc(323)] Bad NaCl helper startup ack (0 bytes)
[44668:44668:0708/144845.897765:ERROR:browser_switcher_service.cc(238)] XXX Init()
[44698:44698:0708/144845.938720:FATAL:nw_content_renderer_hooks.cc(53)] Failed to load node library (error: libatomic.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
#0 0x7f4885515899 (/home/gour/opt/pinegrow/lib/libnw.so+0x4635898)

[44690:44690:0708/144846.046712:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(376)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
[44690:44714:0708/144846.051844:ERROR:gbm_wrapper.cc(271)] Failed to export buffer to dma_buf: No such file or directory (2)
[44690:44714:0708/144846.051933:ERROR:gbm_wrapper.cc(271)] Failed to export buffer to dma_buf: No such file or directory (2)
[...]

Any hint?

Hello @gour

Sorry to read that but as you may know, we only test/validate/support Pinegrow on/for Ubuntu Desktop 18.04 LTS (Pinegrow 5 and >).

These past days, we have tested 5.97 with Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa) and so far, this last Pinegrow version is running fine with it.

We plan to release some extra instructions next week so 20.04 LTS users will be able to install and use Pinegrow on their system but currently, I’m sorry, as we have no plans to investigate issues / validate the application on the Fedora system.

Hmm, these days it should be pretty easy by using some container-ized technology to make application run on almost every Linux, but it is good to know you don’t care about non-Ubuntu users which makes the the question of whether to buy TailwindCSS add-on a no-brainer. :frowning:

1 Like

I understand your disappointment and I’m sorry for the situation but to answer your remark, as you know - since you’ve been following us for quite a while now (2016 if I remember well) - we always try to take care of our customers and as far as Linux is concerned, we could argue at length about what could be done to bring universal happiness, but we’ve never made a mystery about the current exclusive support of Ubuntu Desktop LTS.

First of all I’m supporting Pinegrow since 1.x ( 2014) when you were probably not part of the team - there was only Matjaž and his wife and whenever I had some problem running PG under Linux - I never used it under Ubuntu or some other OS, Matjaž was always helpful trying to resolve issues.

Moreover, I’m running one of the two most supported Linux distros (used even by Linus hmself) - iow. when there are proprietary apps, usually they provide packages for Debian (Ubuntu is just a derivative of it) and Fedora - and not some obscure xyz one.

Even with open-source software, I often have experience that when I’m reporting problems (e.g. OniVim2), the developers were ready to help, even by installing exact version of Fedora under VM to check it out, so I must say that I’m surprised by your “exclusive support of Ubuntu Desktop LTS” statement. Even download link say: “Pinegrow for Linux (Zip, 64bit)” and there is no mention of Ubuntu-only.

So, according to the current situation, most probably, I would not venture into buying TailwindCSS add-on and will think twice about extending my support when my Pro license will expire…

Ozoh, it seems that I was able to resolve issue of starting PG - when launching it via --disable-gpu parameter, it was revealed that libatomic library is missing and after installing it, it seems that it is working, but I haven’t done extensive work with PG (yet).

However, yes, I’m disappointed how you did handle this issue. :-1:

Sincerely,
Sasa Janiska

1 Like

@gour

The good news today is that you have finally found a solution to make Pinegrow work on this Linux distribution - well known and probably great - but that we don’t test/validate/support as stated in our official documentation.

It might be interesting if you could provide us with a short tutorial (or a link to a dedicated tutorial) that we could then integrate into our documentation. This could possibly help other users.

What do you think about it?

I consider that it would be better that you explicitly state what are system requirements in order to run PG under Linux.

Saying:

Pinegrow is available for Windows 10, macOS 10.13, 10.14 and 10.15 and Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 LTS and 18.04 LTS.

is very poor spec. Maybe it makes sense for Win/MacOS, but certainly not for Linux, so my suggestion is to explicitly list major libraries which are required in order for PG to run, except if you are interested only for the portion of Linux users using Ubuntu.

1 Like