No js-Files when adding bootstrap blocks

Is this a bug?
“bootstrap.min.js” and “jquery-1.11.1.min.js” are not copied to my project. Unfortunately, not even if I update the resources in Libraries & Plugins Manager…

The problem can be reproduced: create folder, open project from this folder in PG, add a new page, for example “starter-template” from bootstrap, save the page to this folder, no js-Folder, no assets folder, no js-Files, many errors in browser.
CSS-Files are created
What am I doing wrong?

Hi @fishmi. I’ve tried the same process on my set up and it has the same results. Normally when I start a job I create a new page then Save (to a new folder) and then open the folder as a Project and everything seems to work fine loading all the necessary assets. Hope this is of some help.

Hi @Rob,

great, in this order it works, all js-files are now available
Thank you.

One question: what means “the ska e results”, sorry, my English is very limited.

Now I have played around a little bit and i can repeatedly produce a situation, where errors are shown: files in wrong directories or Javascript Errors.
That’s not very reassuring, because I actually just operate, as dictated to me by the program.
If desired I can document the bugs.

Sorry that should have said “same”

@fishmi

If I understand you correctly you are creating the project folder first and then adding the page.

This is the correct way to start a new project.

If you want to start a new project:

1. Start Pinegrow
  2. Select File -> New page (you can also use the New page button from Pinegrow interface)
  3. Select the template you want to use
  4. File -> Save -> New folder -> select a name and folder location for your project

Pinegrow will now ask if you want to open your new folder as a project, select YES.

*If you create the folder first the extra assets will not load.

Try it this way and let me know how you get on. Here’s a link to the relevant page in the docs.

Creating Projects in Pinegrow

Once again read too little documentation, but in all honesty, in such a commercial program, I would expect that the order of steps makes no matter. I also do not understand why this is the only way to go and not otherwise.
This is “only” about the references, the files exists on the computer …
But of course I understand too little of it.

But if that is so, then I have to keep off the user to do that.
You can not expect that every user reads the documentation in detail.

And the other problems i mentioned, have nothing todo with this prozess.
They appear afterwards, when I go through the described process from you correctly.
I will document the problems, before that i will read all of the documentation :slight_smile:

First, all your feedback is precious and we read it with a lot of interest.

The documented way is the way to go because Pinegrow cannot automatically decide for you what to reference in a blank page even if you have all the resources (JS/CSS/Images) in your project folder created outside of the app.

When you use one of the included template , the resources are referenced in the document and the corresponding files and folders are automatically added in your project folder.

1 Like

Now I have looked at the video “Adding Blocks to an Existing Website” and now everything is clear to me.
You have to add the external files manually with a dummy project, that was applied with the correct process above.
Now everything works fine, the mentioned problems have all disappeared.

Puh, not very intuitiv, but O.K.

What I do not really understand: why are there these two buttons:

?

In my opinion these buttons promise more than they can deliver;
If you activate a framework to an existing page, some of the associated resources are not added to the correct directories or even.

But maybe I do not understand it again
In the documentartion I found nothing about the buttons, in the Video Tutorial they are not visible.

Thank you for your patience with my questions.

@Emmanuel taking @fishmi opinion in to account is it possible to reword information around (before or after) the buttons and add a link underneath to the Projects documentation.

@fishmi I hope this doesn’t offend you but there are always limitations to what an application can do, e.g. Photoshop is the master of photo manipulation while Illustrator is the master of vector and based on the processes that dictate how either media is handled they behave accordingly. I would imagine it is no different for Pinegrow.

To quote @Emmanuel “Pinegrow cannot automatically decide for you what to reference in a blank page even if you have all the resources (JS/CSS/Images) in your project folder created outside of the app.”

While all apps have limitations and their own unique way of doing things the solution to some problems is becoming more familiar with how the app handles things and then the workflow/process comes easier. Again I hope I haven’t offended you, this is meant as a general comment relating to anybody learning a new app. If I can be of any help at any stage just let me know and I will do my best to be of assistance.

@Rob:
With this limitation i can live very well, because this step you have to make only once (initial for a project).

It speaks nothing against that the users of this program should read or watch the first instructions.
Therfore it has indeed features that offer - to my knowledge - no other program.

But there are other limitations, i can’t live with :slight_smile:
For example the complicate way to add a column.

All other feature requests that I have posted here, are nice to have.

It’s a pity, that you preferred “Atom” instead of “brackets”. Brackets can considerably more than Atom, Atom is just an editor of many.