Site-wide updating

I see there was a discussion last year regarding find-and-replace and site-wide updating features wanted in Pinegrow. I hope this is not a dead issue and is still under consideration for a future update. I still love this powerful feature of Dreamweaver CS6 and I still use DWCS6 to open my PineGrow sites to do a site-wide change or update if I change something on one page and want it updated on all other pages on the site.

I REALLY WANT THIS ADDED TO PINEGROW!!

As so often, I simply do not understand what people are specifically after. So for this reason Iā€™m asking:

So you have consistent elements throughout the entire site? For example a footer which has a copyright 2017 and you want to change it to 2018 appearing on all pages of the site-project?

Iā€™m calling this ā€œcomponentā€ - super powerful in my personal view! Once properly defined, one should be able to update this site-wide with one click.

But I may have misunderstood you.

Cheers

Thomas

Thomas keep in mind, not everybody is familiar with ā€œsmart componentsā€, or knows the existence of this feature. There is no updated documentation available for the v4 version, which makes it maybe harder for people to know what it is or how it exactly works.

Like @Thomas already mentioned, Pinegrow has a ā€œsmart componentsā€ feature that can be used for re-using the same block(s)/components on multiple pages/places. The re-used components are being linked to the ā€œmasterā€. Making changes in the ā€œmasterā€ component, will also reflect and will be updated to other copies where you used that component.

NOTE: This ā€œsmart componentsā€ feature is not available with the ā€œStandardā€ version, you need Pinegrow ā€œProā€.

When you build a site from scratch, and configure and use those components from the beginning, itā€™s easy to maintain and change/update things where needed. But when you have an existing site, which is not build with Pinegrow or didnā€™t setup/configured those components yet, it can be some work to implement it when you have a site with a lot of pages.

@randyrie Maybe give it a try, to see what ā€œsmart componentsā€ is and how it can helps you! See for more information:

That documentation is for the older v2 interface, they didnā€™t have updated docs for the current v4 version yet (work in progress). Maybe it can help you understand how it works, the process is still the same.

See also this for the difference between the v2 and v4 interface (if needed):

There is a little/short video about ā€œeditable componentsā€. See Pinegrow homepage and look by features for the section ā€œPinegrow Proā€, see the first 2 items ā€œeditable componentsā€ and ā€œUpdateā€, click there for a short video.

@Matjaz I think ā€œmaster pagesā€, ā€œsmart componentsā€ and ā€œeditable areasā€ is maybe a good subject for a next video tutorial serie!

1 Like

Wow! Like you said Marf, I didnā€™t know this even existed. Thanks for the tip about components and the link to its tutorialā€¦ Iā€™ll start studying up on them. Youā€™re also right about updating the tutorialsā€¦ many are out of date and as such act more like ā€˜teasersā€™ than tutorials.

@Marf I expect people being familiar with things - especially posting it in the ā€œFeature Requestā€. Competition is reading our stuff as well - and youā€™ll find it afterwards in some other docs, PG allegedly not having feature ā€œAā€ or ā€œBā€.

Posting this under another category - ā€œasking if ā€¦ something existsā€ sounds much better, does it?

Cheers

Thomas

@randyrie In addition to my previous post. They are mentioned in that documentation article, but maybe good to point these out (video tuts).

@Matjaz I want/need to rephrase my previous comment. These video tutorials are available but snowed under and hard(er) to find. An updated serie about ā€œmaster pagesā€, ā€œsmart componentsā€ and ā€œeditable areasā€ for the current version and interface, can give these powerful features some good attention that it deserves. And inform (new) users about the existence of these ā€œpower toolsā€. (I know you have a long to-do list, and can do only one thing at a time).

I do almost all my editing with Atom and it has site-wide find and replace.

I tried using the smart objects but my site was built in pinegrow 3.x but manually with bootstrap 4. Using smart objects was too hard to figure out for me. I will try with my next new site.

I gave up on trying to use the smart objects [erā€¦ ā€˜componentsā€™] as wellā€¦ to convoluted a process for me.

@grahamlander and @randyrie Could someone of you please explain the expression ā€œsmart objectsā€ in detail? Iā€™m not aware of them existing in PG.

Cheers

Thomas

They named/called it wrong! They are talking about ā€œsmart componentsā€ like mentioned and described earlier in this topic See this link I posted before.
http://docsbeta.pinegrow.com/components/