Supabase tutorial?

Hi All,
Would anybody be interested in a tutorial about both requesting/posting simple data and authentication with Pinegrow and Supabase? I’m not sure how many devs out there want to be able to hook up to a database, both for display of dynamic data and storage of form data on static HTML pages. I guess the use case is where you want some database ability, but either not a full JS framework backend like React/Vue/etc…, or committing completely to something like WordPress which is pretty fully database driven.
Cheers,
Bob

3 Likes

Hi Bob, @RobM
Yes interesting! I only have experience with Firebase. Supabase looks like a skinned version of it with less possibilities, but a much lower pricing. The only problem I see being located in Europe is the privacy law here. Personally I would be interested in using it in a static website for a newsletter admin/mail/registration system.
Regards,
David

1 Like

Hi @AllMediaLab,
I’m not sure I would say less possibilities. It is an open-source competitor to Firebase that frees you from the Google empire. Not sure if it presents any other privacy problems than Firebase/AWS would.
Cheers,
Bob

@RobM Hi Bob,

Still looking forward to a tutorial. :wink:

To me it looks much more simple then what I have seen from Firebase. Yes the privacy law is not much different from Firebase you have a point there, but for small companies like me providing hosting on our own servers in Europe, Europe and the privacy law hold you personal responsible with a law called GPR or in the Netherlands and Belgium Law for personal data protection. (starting with the use of a simple form on a website) Implicating we have contracts with all our clients to we have to declare how we handle their website users details and information. Lots of webdesigners in Europe are not even aware of this! So their privacy rules are crucial to us!

Like said before I would be interested in a newsletter system for on a website with a admin, email database, subscribe and unsubscribe and the mails.

What kind of tutorial are you thinking of?

Regards,

David

Found a informative video about the subject:

1 Like

Hello @RobM,
Maybe easier to use/deploy backend could be a better fit for the lowCode dev that mostly I imagine are the user of prinegrow.

I was thinking about Directus 9, that have the same feature but in general, is more oriented to lowCode or noCode environment, and selfhosting is super easy, just use cloudron or dockercompose.

As the frontend could be good to see the Vue module =D

1 Like

Hi @MooCloud,
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll take a look at Directus 9 more carefully, but it looks fairly complicated.

@AllMediaLab - I haven’t decided quite yet what to do. I’m trying/struggling to demonstrate how powerful and extensible Pinegrow can be. While it is great for people who don’t know a lot of code, it can also be used to get the bulk of the front-end design done before moving into the more complicated parts a lot more quickly.

Anyway, still thinking about whether this is worth doing.
Bob

1 Like

100% less complicated than Supabase, and forgot to mention that can be installed on a Plesk Shared Server.
You just have an editor to create your tables and their relationships. Permission base filter similar to Supabase but instead of being in code is UI base.

Even if is not my favorite LowCode DB interface is the easiest that I found with a full set of features (Auth, Filtering table-row-field level, Webhooks, files to local or s3, and support for fetching relational data in 1 request.)

2 Likes

@MooCloud @RobM

That directus.io looks very promising too! Have been reading the documentation and it seems very simple but also very powerful. My question to @MooCloud is: how quick do you need to use the $ 99,- a month option? If you need it anyway! And how did you used it. I’m interested in using it in a Static Ajaxify (on the demo page of Ajaxify you will find a lot of sites I made, because I’m a contributor) Bootstrap 5 website!

Regards,

David

You don’t,
just pick a cheap 1v core 1 or 2 gb or ram server and use docker compose to host the opensource/selfhosted version.

Or rent a shared hosting with Plesk, they have a guide on that too.

the idea that we have when selecting Directus, and not other DB to Rest interfaces, is when a customer doesn’t want to have a scalable infrastructure now but wants to have the possibility to have it in the future and directus is scalable with hosted db/s3 in AWS or other platforms, and when he wants an easy to use admin panel.

It provides a UI to edit records on the fly, and the features of the API are great, especially the newly added support for SEARCH instead of GET for complex queries.

Interesting to learn about your Directus experience @MooCloud

Going serverless…

1. BAAS (+FAAS) - Firebase/Firestore (with explicit support for Google Cloud Functions), Supabase (looks like FAAS is a work in progress at the moment)…

2. Headless CMS - Strapi, Contentful, Directus…

Interesting options to pair with frontend (irrespective of the JS frameworks used)

Supabase looks very interesting, thanks to @RobM, I’m always a big fan of your knowledge sharing, I will be very interested if you decide to create any tutorial :+1:t4:

I have been upskilling on the Firebase suite lately, finding it very interesting…

1 Like

What product are you referring to?

Directus 9.

Is become less a Headless CMS and more a full-stack backend with support for pSQL + file storage + auth, …