Undo and History not working

Hi & thanks PrintNinja,

I wasnt sure that i understood well what you’re saying, so i tried.
This css file is linked to every html files of the opened projet.
Indeed when i open this css file AND some html linked one, the undo & history stuff start to work. (but often, after a while it gets buggy aka doesnt undo).

So is this a 'its not a bug but a feature" case ?

Well maybe, but its a weird one :smiley:
I mean, its obvious than even a solo opened filed within a project should have an undo feature, dont-you think ?

And to finish guys dont get me wrong : i love Pinegrow, its usefull, handy, smart and it made me grow with my web writing skills (and i am not a pine !).

“So is this a 'its not a bug but a feature” case"

Uhh, yeah kinda sorta. Pinegrow’s undo feature doesn’t seem to be particularly robust. I think they try to keep a separate undo history for each HTML page, but when they use a common stylesheet, and you’re editing the stylesheet and jumping around from page to page and doing undo operations, I’ve found it can get “confused.” Or I get confused. Not sure which. :rofl:

Anyway, I try not to rely on undo for anything really complicated or critical. Many times when I’m building a big site and find I need to do something hairy, I’ll just go to my desktop and make a quick copy of the entire project folder (call it like project.bak1 or something) and then proceed. That way, if things go south, I just delete the entire mess and restore it from my back up. It’s primitive, but it works.

" I’ll just go to my desktop and make a quick copy of the entire project folder (call it like project.bak1 or something) and then proceed. That way, if things go south, I just delete the entire mess and restore it from my back up. It’s primitive, but it works."

Sounds wise :slight_smile:
Often i duplicate an html file, so i can mess with it and copy the code that i need from one of the two.

And the auto _pgBackup directory that Pinegrow keeps feeding is handy too :). Yesterday i was able to find an older safe copy of a file.

It sounds like this might be a good case for using a local/remote GIT repository.

Ok carrying on with our favourite bug… er feature…umm… extension…frustration.

Here is a video.

Do I understand this?
If this is how Pinegrow handles undo/redo, its slightly/totally nuts. IN a nice way (happy xmas guys)

Basically, If I have several pages open, in pinegrow - as is expected, you know, different CSS and variations on a page

then undo/redo affects EVERY PAGE that is open in PineGrow NOT JUST THE ACTIVE VIEW.
Un intuitive /totally destructive to say the least.

here is my FINE VIDEO that captures this ever so useful… (want to kill myslf) feature!

Look out Hollywood, Schpengle’s in da house!

GOD!
finally managed to get a version that is viewable online.
What a fuss!

here you go

Also, I’m not sure why the index2.html tab is blue in colour when I’m flipping around between files.
I guess it means something< I guess I’ve forgotten, but whatever it is/was,
I’m pretty sure that my EXPECTATION of how it SHOULD work is probably the same as others.
cue lots of bug reports on this topic
OR… if its some other way then this REALLY NEEDS TO BE HIGHLIGHTED…

…like with flashing lights, Klaxon horns and dancing Pandas in TuTu skirts or something as this behaviour
is sooo un intuitive if this is how it is ACTUALLY supposed to work.

Ps, if we ALREADY have dancing pandas, Klaxons, etc please feel free to point me at them and I will dine on Humble pie for Xmas.

1 Like

Would it be possible to have a preferences setting that would allow Pinegrow to work in an alternate mode for those of us who are code first developers? It seems pretty obvious to me that all of the problems that Pinegrow has as a text-based code editor is because it defers to the needs of the visual editor which has no use for a traditional text based undo/redo operation. In this alternate mode of operation, the visual rendering features that cause the undo/redo operations to be erratic and lossy can be disabled.

Over a year after I first purchased and repurchased it, Pinegrow is still one of the worst editors for a code first authoring process. Can you please finally do something about this?

Again, if you want to build sites by coding them, WHY would even buy Pinegrow? (which is specifically designed to allow VISUAL building/editing of websites)

If you want a more robust way to edit code, then install Atom or Visual Studio, both of which integrate with Pinegrow.

Personally, I find Pinegrow’s built-in code editor works fine for quick/simple edits to HTML or CSS, but I have Atom installed for when I really need to do a lot of heavy coding.

1 Like

@schpengle thanks for your detailed reports. Going through them now.

The explanation for this one is simple: both pages use the same CSS stylesheet. The direction of the leaf is controlled by the CSS style of the .leaf class. Undo will undo the last command, which was the CSS edit of this rule.

If you want to have different directions on both pages you would need to create a class rule for that, like .leaf-right or .leaf-left with corresponding CSS settings.

To recap, this behaviour has nothing to do with the Undo, but with the fact that both pages use the same stylesheet.

Wow! Ok. What on earth are you doing up this time In the Morning?
Its 5.40 am here.
Ok, will check this out later now that I seem to have everything fixed up again.
thanks

Ok @matjaz, yes! if that is indeed what I was undoing, that is a very measured explanation of me being a dufus!
Alas that was 2 months ago and I cant actually remember, I shall Hunt down the original files after I go to bed.wake up, but I am not sure what I have done with that since.

if I WAS undoing the css change… Sorry, I must have got pretty confused by then.
Still its always great to find out a bug is actually a (stupid) user error.

Well in that case any way :slight_smile:
and good luck with whatever your up too today and thanks for looking at this.

I am having the same problem. Thanks for bringing up.