PGMonaco - Monaco Editor for PG

Wowww… amazing… kudos :clap:t5::clap:t5::clap:t5::clap:t5:

3 Likes

RESPECT!

And welcome aboard the crazy train… Well, not that crazy really,
everyone here seems rather composed… well I suppose @Thomas has his moments too :wink: (Hi @Thomas, not seen you for a bit, I hope all is well)
, but mostly me in the crazy department I guess… Sigh

1 Like

Can’t wait to try it out! Nice Job done! David

1 Like

:loudspeaker::loudspeaker::loudspeaker: ------
Hello everyone,
Am sorry for the silence on the project, I had to refactor the code(restructure) to make it easy to fix bugs if it ever occurs and scale for future features. This project was for fun but after read your comments it encouraged me to perfect on it and bring it to light.

Performance is one of my major focus for this project and removing the terminal and editor from the same thread of PG has began. Being that am using a windows pc, am still working to release this plugin for all system architecture.

Project name has been changed and will be announced when its released.

Take care and have a wonderful weekend. :clinking_glasses::beers:

3 Likes

oooh!
Intriguing Paul Mate!

…and, are you having fun doing it?
I hope so, and good luck with it, and I hope you bring it masterfully to Fruition, so you can sit back and go…

Yeah! Hell Yeah! That’s my baby and people dig it!

:smiley:
super.

And what else do you get up too? In your life?
What other sort of code stuff, and where on the Planet/time zone do you live?
Your usually posting late at night (to me in the UK) so your either a traditional
late night, caffeine fueled coder

Or somewhere exotic…like Belgium :smiley:
(only 1 hour out so probably not there)

Ok end of social… interrogation :slight_smile:
laterz!
Ciao

2 Likes

Good News

Hello everyone,
Am sorry for the silence on this wonderful extension, but I have good news.

I have been working with the amazing PG team on getting monaco fully integrated into PG and am elated to say its now available on PG6.

More to come on the editor and thanks to all that made this project hit primetime.
Cheers
:beers::clinking_glasses::rocket::rocket::rocket:

6 Likes

Kudos @ehigiepaul for spearheading the editor cause :clap:t5::clap:t5:

1 Like

Awesome job ehigiepaul , love the editor !!
Only thing missing now is Blazor support :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. Am grateful to the PG team that worked tirelessly to make this happen.

3 Likes

Well done all
And
Congratulations dude :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, Thanks and great Job ! I don’t know if it’s possible but how can we change the theme of monaco editor in this version 6 of Pinegrow? Dark or Light but I work with the Monokai theme! A technique? A solution ?
Best regards.
Jeremy

We have plans to expand monaco themes and more. Please kindly bear with us.

2 Likes

Nice work! Is the terminal coming as well?

Regards,
David

I wonder if the terminal really add much value… adding it to Pinegrow might just be like adding a shortcut to open the terminal app (on mac) or the windows equivalent at the current project location…

Are there any other real use cases?

@TechAkayy

As you can see here:Terminal & Monaco editor at work in Pinegrow I already worked with the terminal created by @ehigiepaul in Pinegrow and was able to make a build system in Pinegrow that created a Bootstrap 5 template to my needs and taste download the dependencies from Github necessary for the project and update all dependencies (Including Bootstrap) from Github,. Open the project in Browser Sync, minified optimize images, resize images. Using HTML includes instead of PHP! Use SCSS etc. Having a ASSETS and DISTRIBUTION folder etc. all without leaving Pinegrow and yes it made perfect sense (this is the way websites are created and maintained nowadays!!!) and if Pinegrow want’s to target the Pro market this is the way to go. Or it ends up as a luxury mockup App.

1 Like

That looks very interesting, thanks for sharing your thoughts! Actually, I might vote for the terminal in PG as well…

I guess there was always some % of PG users who were using editors like VS-code alongside PG just to get a better editor experience & to use the integrated terminal.

Now, that PG has monaco, many of these users will be happy to use only PG, and if PG has an integrated terminal, then it will be a greater experience as well, one tool…

Nevertheless, what I love about PG, is staying agnostic in a lot of way, and not lock users into the tool, and let us do heavy-lifting tasks simultaneously in external editor… truly unique & amazing!

What I’m also interested to understand is - apart from the benefit of making PG a more powerful solo tool, are there any other benefit in having an integrated terminal within PG, like for eg, will this open up additional workflow automation via plugins… I think there are could be lots…

1 Like

Glad you like the idea! :wink: @ehigiepaul created a simple button to switch the terminal on or off so users who are not interested will never see it.

The benefits are enormous and the users who are not used to NPM just need to be educated. It’s a dead simple system and the code used is the most basic code on earth. Once you get the hang of it you never go back. It would make Pinegrow really Pro, because the way a framework like Bootstrap is installed in Pinegrow now is nice, but it is not the way it is done.

I extended a existing Bootstrap 5 build system with HTML includes (no master pages and PHP needed anymore). All scripts I need are downloaded from Github and updated when needed. When there is a Bootstrap update I have it immediately. Maintenance of the website in the future is simple, two words of code update all my scripts, a real time saver.

The build system could include the new Bootstrap building blocks from Pinegrow or what ever you want to put in it. This is the way I work now with Sublime Text 4 and Terminus (the terminal) and I use Pinegrow only to create a quick design or animation, but it’s not suited for real production of huge sites and maintenance of websites without a integrated terminal.

What I’m also interested to understand is - apart from the benefit of making PG a more powerful solo tool, are there any other benefit in having an integrated terminal within PG, like for eg, will this open up additional workflow automation via plugins… I think there are could be lots…

Yes with NPM you can install all sorts of plugins (they are called modules and packages) in the build system like Browser Sync, HTML includes, Optimizing images, resizing images, minify what ever. etc. etc There are 1000ths of modules/packages. It’s totally free, but if you want you can create a account and as a team member pay $ 7,- p/month that gives you some benefits that most people don’t need.

1 Like

@AllMediaLab Very interesting experience and workflow thanks for sharing with us.

This brings me to shed some light on the excellent post from Matjaž which is an interesting insight of the author’s vision about Pinegrow’s present and future.

1 Like

Making Websites is Easy. Or at least… it should be. | by Matjaž Trontelj | Medium

Nice article, but no reason to get intimidated or not using a smart system because of a couple of node_modules! They are in a folder at your disposal and the only thing that is added to them are your personal used dependencies (scripts like: Lazy Sizes, Tiny Slider etc. etc.) Users could say the same about Pinegrow when they first see it but that’s nonsense too (ever looked at the Pinegrow files? that are used for the app?) From the Node_Modules your dependencies are copied to the assets and from the assets finally to the dist (distribution) folder.

A build system is very simpel and you just need to get used to it and know how to work with it. With just Pinegrow you can’t seriously maintain websites with lots of JavaScript and CSS and update everything manually. That’s nice if you have one website to take care of, but not when you have a 100 websites to maintain and you work in a team. Or a huge project with 800 or more pages. The build system can contain HTML includes that take care of Header, Footer, Code, whatever and you only need to change one page to change 800 pages. No need for master pages! Updating a website cost 40 seconds with npm!

But at the same time as millions of web designers/developers use a build system around the world keep on using only Pinegrow if you want but I carry on and for the moment use Sublime Text 4 & Terminus.

And yes I was very much impressed by the combination of the Monaco Editor and the Terminal created by @ehigiepaul in the Pinegrow plugin version 9.00 (that only worked in Windows at the time).

For the first time I could create a website the way I wanted for a 100% in Pinegrow. I think the terminal would be a great addition to make Pinegrow real Pro.

And the other great thing about how he made it was the on/off button for the users that are not interested or ready to use it yet.

@matjaz please look at the image and explain to me what is so complicated?