Slow running PG 5.7 PRO on Mint 19

Hi !

First at all, sorry about my English !

I just got PG5.7 PRO , and I realize its running really slow. Just for an example, when I clicked on ABOUT… just to see what version of Pinegrow I got, took about 6 seconds to open.

It’s hard to work in this condition. I also have Microsoft Expression (ex Front Page) , and it runs smoothly.

I did turn JAVAscript off. No change.

My machine does NOT get slow. I still can navigate, open other apps , and runs as usual.

Any idea on whats happening ? Is this any compatibility problem with my machine? I know its old, but that is the first time since I migrate from Windows, that a software runs slow on this machine.

Below , I will add system info , if it will help .

Thank you !

System: Host: fer-N68S3B Kernel: 4.15.0-58-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.4.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu4) dm: lightdm Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: BIOSTAR model: N68S3B serial: N/A BIOS: American Megatrends v: 080015 date: 11/12/2010
CPU: Dual core AMD Phenom II X2 560 (-MCP-) arch: K10 rev.3 cache: 1024 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 3214
clock speeds: max: 803 MHz 1: 803 MHz 2: 803 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5550/5570/5630/6510/6610/7570]
bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:68d9
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@59.79hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD REDWOOD (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-58-generic, LLVM 8.0.0)
version: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.8 (compat-v: 3.1) Direct Render: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series]
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 02:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:aa60
Card-2 NVIDIA MCP61 High Def. Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:05.0 chip-ID: 10de:03f0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-58-generic
Network: Card: Qualcomm Atheros AR5416 Wireless Network Adapter [AR5008 802.11(a)bgn]
driver: ath9k bus-ID: 01:06.0 chip-ID: 168c:0023
IF: wlp1s6 state: up mac:
Drives: HDD Total Size: 400.1GB (7.5% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD800BB size: 80.0GB serial:
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: SAMSUNG_HD322HJ size: 320.1GB serial:
Partition: ID-1: / size: 60G used: 28G (50%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: System: supported: N/A
No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Unused Devices: none
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 31.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 44.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
Info: Processes: 182 Uptime: 51 min Memory: 1201.5/1992.9MB
Init: systemd v: 237 runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.4.0 Client: Unknown python3.6 client inxi: 2.3.56

What do you expect from a 10 year old desktop computer with outdated specifications?

I would expect it runs ok, as I have no issues with Expression . But if there is a problem running Pinegrow on my computer, I just go back to Microsoft Expression 4.

Thank you

I think you mean Microsoft Expression Web 4? That is as outdated as your computer and no comparison with Pinegrow.

Well, This is a ten year old MacBook Pro I am running here and that blanket what do you expect? answer doesnt really hold water… it depends what it was ten years ago.
However, a Phenom?

they look nippy!

I am running a 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo processor, all good here.
So I should think that he has something else going on.

Check your system utilities, see if something else is hogging all your resources, or of something is loading strange on your Linux box…

No it depends on what it is now in 2019. Outdated chipsets/graphic cards/memory and their interaction with nowadays applications can result in very slow performance and other issues. Everybody who is seriously involved in the use of any computer system and the use of software knows that! The software developers can’t just support all old systems from the far past.

We use several older systems for real life website/application testing and noticed artifacts in modern applications no matter if it is our 7 year old iMac i3 2 cores, 5 year old HP Pavilion i5 2 cores windows 7, 6 year old desktop with Xenon 6 cores linux mint. Of course we use modern computers, tablets and mobile phones for further cross browser/system testing.

So what was super fast and rock solid 10 years ago doesn’t mean it still is now in all situations or means nothing anymore in 2019.

When you have an old Mac that works for you, your just lucky nothing more nothing less.

It also explains why Microsoft Expression Web 4 works perfect, because it is as outdated as the OP’s computer.

Regards,
David

well… your users might very well not be, so if your content is only viewable on the sort of liquid nitrogen cooled, mega cluster you described, your website might very well fall short on delivery of the actual content in a quick viewable manner on old Granny Smith’s home PC when she is just trying to get her medicines online - and so will move on to the next, quicker loading/functioning online retailer.

What the developer uses and what the End User/Client uses may be worlds apart.
That’s why there is so much done to try and asses the anticipated clients methodologies of access nowadays.

They do differ.

Granny Smith’s favourite grandson, may well be a bulk medicine wholesale agent, to whom she slates your website’s capabilities …and advises to avoid like the plague.

Also,

incorrect.
My machine is classed as Obsolete by Apple and has been for some years. They offer the wholesome price of £70 scrappage fee for it, in return for me spending several thousand pounds on one of their replacement systems.
Ummm, no thanks.

I am running 3 OS’s beyond what it is currently possible to install via a standard installer (as its not possible to install on this via Apple, even though it DOES run, obviously -Im typing on it now :slight_smile: )
And it gets tweaked by myself, both hardware and OS/Software etc.
In fact the ONLY reason I ever upgraded my OS was…to run PineGrow - as they dropped support for my previous OS - and forgot to mention it in the upgrade info --ARGH!

So, it is only still capable due to my skillset and ability to tweak my system to max performance- for its age.
SO again, never predetermine the capabilities of your anticipated clients, predetermine some high expectation of what they need to view your site, or indeed, designate a certain quota of clientele to the scrap heap, without fallbacks. - as you have NO IDEA of their commercial power and might very well fall on your own sword, or limit your clientele’s business.

Likewise, apply the same to other tech users on forums, of whom your know nothing, as it may accidentally appear that you come across as, umm, uninformed, opinionated or simply a dufus
which would be unfortunate.

I’m pretty sure your run user heuristics on your anticipated user base so would know their demographics, so what you say might well apply to yourself, but , as always, not to everyone.

One size fits all as never been more inaccurate, than since the invention of The Internet

Thanks for your detailed reply!
I must admit you are a great storyteller and i’ts a joy to read!
But I’m not going to answer this because I don’t want to offend you and keep it nice on this forum.

Thanks again,
Regards,
David

1 Like

Hmmm… I’m running an 8 year old Windows machine. It was a powerful system when new. Core i7 at 2.67Ghz. It has no issues whatsoever running PG, or any other modern software or web browser. Granted my Radeon HD 3800 is a bit long in the tooth, but for building websites, this machine works just fine. I have to assume that the websites I build are being viewed by people with systems at least as old, if not older than mine.

I don’t the age of hardware is a definitive measure of its usefulness. It’s WHAT the hardware is that matters.

1 Like

Thanks, I did enjoy that, yes :slight_smile:

Hi guys !

I was reading some comments on the subject and I am not an computer expert. When I asked about the issue I have with PG , I was thinking I could have some help from someone who have had the same problem, running a not powerful machine.

I understood my machine is old. But everything I do in my computer works great !
As I said, ONLY PG gets slow. If I keep PG open , and start working with other stuff, my computer does NOT slow down.

So I thought : may be there is something I can do to fix this issue. May be changing configuration.

I forgot to mention I tried to use Adobe Dreamweaver . This software worked just fine in the machine. But I did not like it. Too complicated for me.

Anyway , I am getting a new computer, not just because of PG. And I will try again.

Microsoft Expression Web might be outdated , but it helps me to make some changes faster.

Thanks and hope PG will work just fine for me.

Hi there @Fer, it should do :slight_smile:
I also ran it on windows 7 on a very low power netbook with an aweful processor that could just about operate a kettle!. that was the only instance I’ve had where PG crawled.
Hopefully some more experienced Linux type could run you through the processes to watch and see what is devouring your machines capability on Your OS, when running PG and then feed that back to the PG Devs so they can look at it.
But, since there hasn’t been a load of other Linux user reports of this, yes, I would suspect it is your OS install or some configuration, or something to do with Electron/whatever PG is running on that is conflicting, rather than your hardware.

Either way, enjoy your new machine anyway! :smiley: